Sunday, October 3, 2021

Beautiful Dreamer

Beautiful Dreamer

Dreams are musical notes
pirouetting upon a heart, fluttering one's mind
as if a queen coronated or a song vibrato'd,

melody swaying like poppies in a field,
bursting with passion, adventure;

or like lilies, marvelously curved and open,
reaching heavenward in acceptance.

Monet and Van Gogh flourished
light and color upon a canvas,
exploding and inspiring

as we peer into rooms and fields, allow maidens
and sheep to visit our slumbered fancies,

past, present, and future
woven into bouquets of freshly picked blooms,

becoming rosebud smiles as we awaken
full of promise, hope, and joy as we hum 
beautiful melodies.

by Margaret Bednar, October 3, 2021

Linked with "Poets and Storytellers United, Writer's Pantry #90".  The images above are both collaged by me and will be the front and back cover of a writing/art journal I am making.  I will post this poem on the inside front cover.  I will be making a number of journals this style (with coffee, blueberry, avocado & other hand dyed paper)  and other styles and they will eventually be for sale.  

11 comments:

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

First of all I enjoyed the poem (and it made me wish I were better at remembering my dreams).

Secondly, what wonderful projects, the original collaging and then the journal-making!

Yvonne Osborne said...

I wish my dreams were this colorful and lovely. They usually leave me feeling confused and vaguely troubled. Love your journal making.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I love the poem. The last stanza, in particular, speaks to me. And how wonderful that you make your own writing journals. I've never tried to dye paper. You've inspired me to do some research and maybe give it a go. Thanks you so much, Margaret.

Margaret said...

It’s so fun. I have two big baking sheets (nonstick!) and I fill one with a mix of coffee (or whatever - just Google) and hot water - look into what to use to get it acid free if you like) and the other is for putting the paper on and I bake at 270 in the oven until it’s dry. I don’t leave the kitchen. You can single layer or stack a bit. Play around. I like an edge being double covers sometimes but my favorite is single layer. Wear plastic gloves if you don’t want stained fingers. You can also play around with mark making - doilies are fun. If you have any questions, reach out.

indybev said...

Lovely poem, and your journal-making interests me. I've been keeping art journals for a number of years much as you describe. Do you have a blog where your journals are displayed?

Margaret said...

I will be figuring that out soon. I am in the process of making them now. Might be an Etsy sight but I’m leaning to just having a YouTube channel where I just sell a few as I make them. It takes a lot of time - the paper dying and collaging and the pockets I like to put in them. I’ve gifted quite a few to my children. :)

Khaya Ronkainen said...

A beautiful poem about beauty of dreams. I like the ideas of dreams as musical notes.

Your art journal project sounds wonderful. Have lots of fun with it! :)

Rommy said...

Those sound like sweet dreams indeed. And the journals came out so cute!

Joel (@Stranded Tree) said...

You've described the fine line between music (lyrics) poetry and the dream world.
I can see the poppies and other blooms swaying to the music on the wind.
A peaceful thought - thank you

rudraprayaga said...

The dream has been portrayed beautifully here. I liked it.

dsnake1 said...

love the poem! so alive, and full of positive vibes.
hope i can have more of these dreams. :)