Wednesday, October 6, 2021

October

(click on images to enlarge)

October

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."  Anne of Green Gables

Honey is the ingredient shared in dueling pumpkin pies;
Grandma's secret stirred into spices, Mom's kneaded into crust.
Dad's eyes grow large as they ask him his favorite;
points to his mouth, too full to answer.

***

Pansies and asters blink goodnight, mums begin to yawn,
yet pink flamingo and garden pixie stand at attention,
salute tiniest fairies floating by
astride parachutes of milkweed and goldenrod.

***

Crows and ravens await for songbirds' final flight
to call forest and field their own.  Caw warnings
as witches walk hand in hand, trinkets and wands sparkle,
tempt black murders dotting fiery finery of maple and oak.

***

Pumpkin seeds and cider warm our bellies,
Grandma's knitted wool sweaters our bodies; "protection" 
as we pass St. Mary's graveyard; nervously giggle away
scary ghost stories whispered 'round backyard bonfire last night.

***

A "stay-at-home" date night (no babysitter), movie, glass of wine,
squeaky porch swing, glowing Jack-O-lantern.  Mom giggles
(she doesn't seem afraid).  Says "Come up and see me sometime".
Dad winks, follows her inside, his, "Yes, Dear" oddly British.

by Margaret Bednar, October 6, 2021


The photos above are the front and back cover of my hand-made, collaged (paper - not digital) October 2021 journal. I will be stitching in my paper signature tomorrow and will add a few of my old poems as well as my poems for this month.  I will do a video of it at the end of the month so you can see how it looks.  

The movie reference is "She Done Him Wrong" starring Mae West & Cary Grant, 1933.


12 comments:

Lisa said...

I laughed at the wisdom of dad and his mouth full of pie! My mother made THE best biscuits. Her mother-in-law ate them once, and never made biscuits again, she only would serve the packaged croissants! My mother had a prize winning pie crust too, both won for me and my son at fairs.
Passing graveyards was such a spooky thing as kids, even in cars. We'd hold our breath and a button.

Gillena Cox said...

A lot of family goodtimes in your October scenarios

Thanks for dropping by my blog

Much💜love

Jim said...

Margaret, this is sooo nice!!! You verses too, they go along very well with the mood set by the art (digital art??).
Mrs. Jim, she's from Louisiana, makes really good flour biscuits also. Our daughter growing up called the biscuits from a can, "Fake Biscuits", usage way ahead of the current cat calling politics.
My favorite will be those "tiniest fairies floating by." Mainly because if I ever do get around to making a fairy garden I will have tiny fairies, plants also tiny.
Downsizing is our future, old or getting old we are.
..

rallentanda said...

Your parents sound very sweet. I think you Dad's eyes growing large pointing to his mouth full of pie is a hoot. Also like Granny knitting sweaters for the family. Delightful poem

jossina said...

Lovely imagery of childhood and family life.

Margaret said...

Jim - I use paper collage - hand torn, placed, and glued the old fashion way!!

Debi Swim said...

This is nostalgia at its best... I feel so warm and like a kid again.

Rommy said...

Comfort and contentment permeate this piece like the honey in that crust.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I love the warmth and comfort sparkling out of each line. Even when unease is implied, at being in a graveyard, is a fun kind of unease... as if one knows that although is supposed to be creepy, there is a feeling of safety and fun.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video of your journal.

Helen said...

Each vignette ... pure October delight.

indybev said...

Oh, Margaret, this is exquisite. The collages are stellar, and each vignette played my heartstrings. What a wonderful journal in the making! I can hardly wait to see it when completed.

purplepeninportland.com said...

You did October proud, Margaret!
Your photo collage is stunning.