Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Folded


Folded

Draco the Dragon, Little Dipper,
and the Northern Crown with jewels blazing and fading
grace my fingertips.

Deep night-blue brings them close
or perhaps it's the mountains
in which I'm folded, quilt-wrapped,

protected and safe.  Mars will set
before midnight, Jupiter will rise soon after,
and Venus just before dawn

while I sleep contentedly,
stringed porch lights softly glowing,
blinking salutations.

by Margaret Bednar, April 2, 2019

Linked with a challenge from "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Poems in April - Late Night Conversations with the Muse".  Still thinking on a better title for this poem...

Also linked with "NaPoWriMo" - National Poetry Month, a celebration of poetry which takes place each April, was introduced in 1996 and is organized by the Academy of American Poets as a way to increase awareness and appreciation of poetry in the United States. 

12 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

My goodness such a stellar closing image!❤️ I am in love with this poem. Thank you so much for adding your voice to the prompt!

said...

"blinking salutations"

"or perhaps it's the mountains
in which I'm folded, quilt-wrapped,

protected and safe"

What captivating images. Love this.

Ellecee said...

Wonderful images, I love the feeling of being gently folded and safe that it brings me,,

Kerry O'Connor said...

How very lovely this is! I woke early a few mornings ago and saw Venus rising out my bedroom window.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, lovely! You sound so safe and peaceful there.

Anmol (HA) said...

Some lovely images in this verse and the overall feeling is of such comfort and peace. Well penned! :-)

Angela Kay said...

Your imagery is so vivid and powerful!!

Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful imagery...I grew up in the country where there were very few human lights to interrupt star visitations..I so miss it.

tonispencer said...

A lovely poem. I am an insomniac and I often see the stars at night picking out the constellations. The last line is particularly lovely.

WildChild47 said...

oh this is just an all encompassing, swaddling for the lovely, comforting poem Margaret! I love the way you've named the pin-point constellations, brought them closer to the earth, and then lifted it into the in-between plane, of safe dreams, with little twinkle lights to shine on in the darkness.

lovely poem Margaret!

Thotpurge said...

perhaps it's the mountains
in which I'm folded, quilt-wrapped,... that's a great image!

Kim M. Russell said...

I love the final stanza, Margaret!