Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Wedgwood of Staffordshire

My Wedgwood Bone China - pattern Lichfield
Wedgwood of Staffordshire

We've graced Queen Charlotte's table,
our Lichfield, Bednar's, with our wreath
of beauteous blooms which grace field and vale
beneath village spires; a namesake

heralding back (perhaps) to Diocletian,
300 AD and the death of 1000 Christians,
or perhaps spun off from Roman's junction
of Rykniild and Watling, fifth century village of Wall,

where families worked, rested,
worshipped and fed,
fair game for enemies Henry VIII and Mary I,
Parliament and the Royalists...

and around this table of the 21st century,
where politics and religion are still assailed,
(or shall we say "discussed"?)
no heretics accused, no wars resumed,

no consequences demanding
a burning at the stake; only perhaps
a bit of indigestion now and again
from our wreath of beauteous Lichfield blooms.

by Margaret Bednar, April 2, 2019

This is linked with the challenge at "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - The Tuesday Platform - an inanimate's voice"

Also linked with "NaPoWriMo" - National Poetry Month, a celebration of poetry which takes place each April, was introduced in 1996 and is organized by the Academy of American Poets as a way to increase awareness and appreciation of poetry in the United States. 

8 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love to know the history of such memorable family artifacts. A beautiful set of porcelain would have many tales to tell.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is so intriguing!❤️ It's always a pleasure to learn the history behind precious artifacts.

Anmol (HA) said...

How you take us through its history is so good — I am rather glad that there are no demands of burning at the stake now. Ha!
I like this sophisticated and humorous narration. :-)

tonispencer said...

My grandmother left her set of Wedgewood to her middle daughter. It was created in 1790 I think. But at any rate, it is beautiful. On one of my trips to England I went to Wedgewood to explore the history of the pattern. I ate in the Tea Conservancy and had a delightful cream tea there. It was better than the tea at Harrod's I think. I only inherited the Evesham created in the Victorian days but to be honest, I think I like it better.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Beautiful crockery – and what an heirloom!

Jim said...

Acording to the spin press of Margaret things have progressively been getting better to almost Utopia. A fun history review. I'm week on World History, BBC and Mrs. Jim have been my teacher since my University of Nebraska survey course.
..

Kim M. Russell said...

A beautiful legacy, Margaret, full of history. It wouldn't last a minute in our house - we're both so clumsy!

Susie Clevenger said...

Yes, I love the history of items passed from generation to generation. Those items from the past place their history among us and reminds us of who and where we came from.