Saturday, October 14, 2023

Gratitude

 


Gratitude

The geese have long since
v'd their way south,
bare feet have been replaced with boots,
yet I still

sink footprints into chilled sand,
tide fills them up,
makes them disappear;
a wonder of which I never tire.

My heart pounds 
yet isn't always heard
above splash of wave and wind,
an exhilaration that is commonplace,
at least for me.

I pity the ones who never know
the wonder of a flock of seagulls
lifting in unison, filling horizon with swoops
and angled wings, riding Great Lake's breeze

beneath clouds that tell me
it's time to settle inside, before a warm fire,
before snow descends,
book in hand, cat on lap,

all the while thanking God
this is my ordinary.

by Margaret Bednar, November 28, 2018

This is linked with "What's Going on? Gratitude".  

Originally written for dVerse Poetics - Magic of Ordinary Things".  I also linked with dVerse Open Link Night #234". A few small changes have been made.  

10 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

And what a beautiful ordinary it is - a wild beach and then a warm fire and a cat on one's lap. So much to be grateful for in that. Lovely to read you, Margaret.

Susan said...

". . . an exhilaration that is commonplace . . ."
Such an ordinary to be grateful for. Bravo for your poem!

Mary said...

Margaret -- There is so much to be thankful for in the ordinary things. Thank you for recognizing this and reminding us of this in your poem~

Sumana Roy said...

It's so wonderful to be grateful for whatever we are given. Love the images.

J. S. Vila said...

A good poesy made with inspiration and love.

Marja said...

Indeed something to be grateful for; the ocean, the seagulls the horizon. We are lucky in Christchurch to have endless beaches. It is a great place to relax.

Priscilla King said...

Love it. My ordinary days are also beautiful.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Beautiful. I do love all things oceanic.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

But – oops! – I think you linked to P&SU by mistake as you had already linked another and do not mention us on this page. I'm having to delete this second link.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Leaves me yearning for wave and sand and ocean serenaded birdsong...