Saturday, September 23, 2023

Sojourn

collage by Margaret Bednar

 Sojourn

My thoughts
ride the currents
along the Atlantic,
a migratory pattern
not unlike the Monarch.

Perhaps more an escape 
than a disciplined,
pre-planned route,
timeline to adhere.

Instead, I wander;
parameters of time
disregarded.
Find myself in decades past,
lamenting decisions
I can not change;
careening forward,
wishful of a metamorphosis.

Why the Atlantic?
I'm not sure
other than it's a place
I love to dip my toes,
watch the sunrise,
collect seashells,
lose myself on the horizon,
feel His presence,

witness the journey
of the butterfly;
a fellow sojourner,
seeking, searching,
losing track of time...
contemplating eternity.

Like the Monarch,
make a pilgramage yearly,
a temporary repreive 
from the day to day,

otherwise, like a prayer
or the tingle of fingertips,
this daily sojourn, 
this centering,
this sustenance.

by Margaret Bednar, September 23, 2023


I gave myself 10 minutes to write - close my eyes, feel the response, go with the flow, so to speak, edit very little and just post it.  Quite the opposite of how I usually write.  I did have my collage to inspire the direction of my thought - that is usual for me (some sort of image of mine - photo, drawing, collage).

10 comments:

Helen said...

I love stream of consciousness poems ... yours is beautiful. Lots of sighs here.

Marja said...

Absolutely beautiful and peaceful like a wandering and pondering of thoughts on paper

Penelope Notes said...

You came to an elegant landing like a butterfly on a petal of thought.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

This works beautifully! I think that, after years of practice, some poems arrive easily because our brains are so familiar with the process. Or perhaps it was allowing yourself direct access to the unconscious that did it. Whatever, I think you could use this method again with happy results.

Rajani said...

Oh this worked so well... some poems write themselves so beautifully, especially when the subject matter has fully evolved in our sub-conscious. The monarch analogy is great and the close!

Jinksy said...

I too react best to and image, to set my writing muse on the road of inspiration. I enjoyed where yours took you this week. :-)

Jim said...

You and the butterfly
paths will cross
Is this a one-way trip
or many times
You did well, shut your eyes a minute, then write away. Good Job!!
I'm wondering about you collage, could be cut and paste or digital, either way, really nice.
..

Priscilla King said...

A butterfly poem! Lovely!

Anita Sabat said...

Lovely words.
We can all identify
"wishful of a metamorphosis"

rallentanda said...

Oh I love this collage...When I was studying visual arts as a mature age student I did a lot of collage...just loved it...it's visual poetry. Loved your poem as well