Saturday, May 13, 2023

Spring's Promise


 

Spring's Promise

Stillness -
Not even a dragonfly
skims pond's surface,
Monet's paintbrush poised;
birth and resurrection's impressions
thirst for season's kiss.

    I thought to hang my hopes
    upon a crescent hook last night,
    but moon and stars
    fell before my feet,
    scattered, buoyant
    upon Claude's violet-blue depths.

    Reached instead
    within myself
    since made of stars are we.
    Fingertips tingled,
    started to mold
    and fashion dreams;
    mind raced upon cool breeze.

Funny how daylight's 
drowsy ardor
differs from night's
invigorating arousal.
Sit dockside,
stir concentric circles
slowly with my toe,
stillness and urgency suspended.

One little lotus bud
sprouts,
its minty elfin cap,
a promise.

By Margaret Bednar, May 12, 2023


Lily pads represent birth, resurrection, purity, majesty, enlightenment


11 comments:

Rajani said...

Enjoyed the art references that build the mood of this poem!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Gorgeous! And the culmination delightful.

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Penelope Notes said...

There is enchantment in these verses. It is compelling to think of hanging one's hopes on a crescent hook.

rallentanda said...

Love the last stanza....have just watched A Quiet Passion the movie you recommended....enjoyed it....Thank you !

Jim said...

I can hear the noise when Hope's came crashing down. Reminds me of the times when weve had things came crashing down at our house. A huge painting from the wall, a shelf loaded with books, and another shelf loaded with eating dishes. All in the night waking us up each time. More, once my golf ball landed in the middle of a pond full of lily pads and flowers, it stayed up sitting on a huge leaf.
I hadn't known of the Christian symbolism. I'll read up, Thank You.
..

Magaly Guerrero said...

Love the mood very much, so very soothing. And the end is just perfect. I really like how the tone and imagery bring to mind the spirit of a haiku.

vanderloost said...

The last para is full of hope and optimism.

Brother Ollie said...

Margaret - I love your style. Delightful piece.

I appreciate your idea of a "lot line". Best part of the lot!

Priscilla King said...

Those hot still days when not even a dragonfly stirs...they'll soon be here again. I'm not looking forward to them.

dsnake1 said...

Very gorgeous imagery! yes, like a Monet painting. :)