Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Like Dickinson


Doodling on a paper bag

Like Dickinson

Torn envelopes, 
chocolate wrappers, paper scraps;

Emily's words and sentence snippets
fragmented together -

wonders for stationary
which hibernated in her desk drawer, 
waited for slanted ink 
to nourish, to burnish its smooth surface -

similar to my stash of watercolor paper
upon a shelf, cold and hard pressed,
imitating collectible artifacts on display -

recycled, brown grocery bags,
newsprint; inspired torn envelopes
receiving favor of my mark, 
color and pattern explored. 

Why do I balk before a blank canvas?  
Did she fear the perfection of a pristine page?

by Margaret Bednar, May 3, 2023

A poem I am not happy with.   It really is more of a collection of ideas and a rough first draft and I have a whole other approach in mind... stay tuned.  


No comments: