Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Pageantry

 


Pageantry

A satin cape cascades off a shoulder,

branches drape, sequins and diamonds sparkle

beneath sun's tickling touch; diaphanous 

a new word to explore. 


Mermaid gown, ivy embroidered,

travels upon forest floor, resplendently elegant;

more a ball gown than evening bedecked as she is

in swags and tulle, edged with flowers, rosettes,

vine-like lace.


Oscar Da La Renta bows to such as these,

grand dames and sprightly, willowy youth 

showcasing bustles, bouffants, A-line, and tiered.


I'm underdressed, Timberlands and jeggings practical,

but certainly no competition.   I think of tonight,

scratch the burger joint off my list, make a reservation 

where newfound desire to shine will be appreciated.  


by Margaret Bednar, October 20, 2020


This is linked with "Poets and Storytellers United - #42 Autumnal"

5 comments:

C. Sandlin said...

Gorgeous! Love the way the ivy will look different after having read this!

Gillena Cox said...

Such gorgeous imagery.Enjoyed readi this poem
Thanks for dropping by my blog

Much❤love

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

The ultimate in beauteous adornment, indeed!

Magaly Guerrero said...

I never knew one could enjoy fashion this much! I can't stop grinning at how lovely this is. Now I want to head to the woods, with hopes of seeing elegant gowns.

Rommy said...

I am in love with these divas of nature. They're certainly strutting their stuff around my town. This was a delight to read.