Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Holy


 

Holy

Beeswax, His body -

wick, His soul - flame, His divinity;

my voice, soft and low,


eyes upon blessed candle,

lips caressing holy words,

my fingers familiar with beaded bone.


"Old family heirloom, a relic from the Holy Land."

Grandpa would wink (an antler he'd whittled),

but we allowed Grandma her antiquity


as she held me in her lap and told me

of relics: the holy grail, Eucharistic miracles,

incorrupt body of St. Bernadette...


and I, entranced, felt her breath on my neck,

her soft bosom better than any pillow,

and her voice, like incense, filled the room.


I pray from my heart; Mary brings the Trinity, 

and I relax into peace and hear 

Grandma singing with the angels.


by Margaret Bednar, October 21 


This is linked with "Poets & Storytellers United - About those bones"  

Write poetry or prose which explores where the bones in the poem below might've come from.  (poem written by https://magicalmysticalteacher.wordpress.com  HERE)

fingers framed by light
clutching an old rosary
carved of human bone

11 comments:

rallentanda said...

Grandma is lucky to be singing with the angels. She would not like what is happening to her religion at the moment.My grandmother is probably sitting with yours discussing how this could have all have gone so wrong. I still have her beads.

Margaret said...

Rallentanda - There is a LOT to think about with the current Pope. The Pope ver dear to my heart will always be JPII. He opened my heart and I miss him very much. His life story is amazing.

Jim said...

Grandmothers have a reputation of purity and holiness. You will follow those steps, humbly. Humbly except for keeping Grandpa in line.
I liked your write, I would be honored to have words like that about me.
..

Helen said...

Simply beautiful, Margaret.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Grandmother and granddaughter moments have always felt super precious to me. I remember this type of enthrallment, usually evoked by my grandmother speaking of plants, teaching me and my cousins how to respect Nature and each other, remind us that everything is connected...

Lisa said...

I love Grandpa's spunk! What a character he must be. I get the impression he'd be a lot of fun, but you'd never be sure if he was joking or pulling your leg.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

When the elders sing to us, and with us, we are blessed indeed.

Old Egg said...

How precious those moments are with grandparents as they give you wisdom from such an earlier time.

Gillena Cox said...

Beautifully beaded verses Margaret
Thanks for dropping by to read mine

Much❤love

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

They sound like comforting memories!

purplepeninportland.com said...

A beauty, Margaret!