Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Wonderment


Wonderment

Sunrise seemingly slept in this day
as remnants of moonlight remain
from wintersweet sky,
clouds seemingly hand-spun, perhaps felted.

Chaste mauves, mellow mangos, sedate grays
waterscape morning's horizon,
cocoon me between sand dunes
as if I'm a mermaid with sea-salted hair.

Battered coral and broken shells speckle and glint
beneath watchful eyes of seagulls pronouncing
"Day's begun!"; industrious scavengers
whose work has yet to be done,

begging, stealing.  And I indulge them,
content to offer my bagel and a prayer,
watch both soar over heads of a mother and child;
remember when I first showed my babes

their first glimpse of the sea.

by Margaret Bednar, March 11, 2020

This is linked with "Poets and Storytellers United - Weekly Scribblings #10 - Early Bird or Night Owl?"

I just got back from a relaxed stay in Florida's (the USA's) oldest city of St. Augustine and the beach.  Great food, great history, and glorious (gray) morning sunrises.  The sun, even hidden behind the clouds, is a wonder to me.


9 comments:

Helen said...

I love spending time in St. Augustine... and I love your expressive poem.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Sounds like a sheer delight!

Jim said...

A very nice read for me Margaret. My grandmother, we were visiting her, took me to the Oregon beach and we dug for clams. I was 16. Here in the Houston our sun also sleeps in until the Bay and Gulf clouds burn off, around ten. Some days there aren't clouds and some days it's later.
..

Joel (@Stranded Tree) said...

A sunrise sleeping in late and "wintersweet sky" - a wonderful word painting that I imagine myself on the dunes watching the surf. Beautifully done.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Some utterly gorgeous imagery in this one, Margaret!❤️ Especially love;

"Chaste mauves, mellow mangos, sedate grays
waterscape morning's horizon,
cocoon me between sand dunes
as if I'm a mermaid with sea-salted hair,"

Wowww!!❤️

indybev said...


What a visual wonderment you've shared with us. Your words drew such a picture I could almost smell a salty breeze!

Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful way for morning and spirit to join...love this

Rommy said...

Mmm...the ocean is always a source of wonderment, but I loved how you vividly you highlighted the beauty of it at that particular part of the day.