Sunday, December 15, 2019

Oh, Sister


Oh, Sister

She prays the glow from a devotion,
turns hope to penance, twists virtue into vice,
her crucifix the reason for her stoop,

rumored it delivers a memorable wallop
across one's backside.

It's hard to say how her angel-face became frozen,
how her eyes closed in prayer and lips silently moving
look like a sweet Raphael,

but I'm witness this masterpiece needs restoration;
that this seed fell amongst thorns,

grew green and lush before choked by greed,
jealousy, by power's unclean?  I don't know;
just pray for intercession, a miracle

to cure unfruitfulness; return me
to a healthy fear of the Lord.

by Margaret Bednar, December 15, 2019

I am so sorry, Sister Margaret Claire.  I may burn in Hell for this one.  I have NO idea where it came from - I only knew kind nuns.

This is for the poetic challenge over at "The Sunday Muse #86"

7 comments:

Carrie Van Horn said...

I love this Margaret! You have captured truth in this photo beautifully! I am sure you are still in good standings with Heaven's eyes, for Heaven sees the ugly with the beautiful and there is both in all worldly creations...including nuns priests and all humans. This photo can stir us so many directions...that is what I love about prompts! Shay always picks a perfect pondering piece! 🤩

Eddie Bluelights said...

rumored it delivers a memorable wallop
across one's backside.

That line cracked me up, Margaret.
No I am sure you will not roast in hell. I have found most Nuns and Priests have a very good sense of humour . . . :)

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh, I feel the divine in your words when you write. I think your line to heaven is open wide.

Fireblossom said...

I'm not standing next to you, girl. Lightning's gonna strike! ;-)

Susan said...

". . . I'm witness this masterpiece needs restoration;
that this seed fell amongst thorns . . . " Very cool.

And to know: "her crucifix the reason for her stoop . . . " is to place the twisting force properly where it belongs! If only we could accept the love of God without the weight of dogma.

purplepeninportland.com said...

"her crucifix the reason for her stoop" - There is a great deal said in this one phrase.

Helen said...

I was also struck by your description of how the crucifix weighs her down ... and I imagine that is so ... for more than a few.