Monday, July 22, 2019

The Moon Fairy

123rf
The Moon Fairy

I usually sleep in fits, short bursts with no rem.  But last night was different; I dreamt I was the moon's fairy, come to earth upon a shooting star slashing its way through purple midnight.  I tiptoed upon woven linen sheets, my eyes twinkling like celestial skies.  You briefly awakened, thought me a firefly, returned to slumber.  I gathered you up, rode a moonbeam back, safely placed you within the protective curve of the slivered orb.

Our "sky house".  The one of countless stories dreamt up, of Crayola images forever sweet, created as we gazed through curtains floating upon a mountain's summer breeze.

Why can't dreams last forever, why must I wake to hear your breathing labored, your cheeks pale, smile fading?  I gather you in my arms, like in the dream,  Begin to pray.  To God... with an aside to the Moon Fairy.

by Margaret Bednar, July 22, 2019

This is linked with "dVerse Prosery #2".  A short story in no more than 144 words.  I used all 144 words.   The line we must use is from Alice Oswald's "Full Moon" poem HERE.  The line is "I dreamt I was the moon".

6 comments:

robkistner said...

It is a constant vigil and an ongoing prayer of protection for those we love. We are frail human’s, but our resolve can be mighty! I really liked this Margaret!

Poetry for Healing said...

Oh how beautiful is this story! I loved its sweet tenderness.

Kim M. Russell said...

A magical moon story, Margaret!

sarah said...

That started so sweetly, and then became so sad. A great transition between emotions, very well done.

Dr. Crystal Grimes said...

Yes, very sad, but also vivid.

ms_lili said...

The overwhelming love and regard you have for the young child permeates your story. Very affirming to read of your care.
Jade Li @http://tao-talk.com