Saturday, July 13, 2019

July Serenade


July Serenade

Summer morning has slipped her hold on the sun
and mist has long since joined the waterscape sky
beneath which sloping shadows have started to stretch
and amber haystacks, freshly rolled, shimmer as refined trinkets before me.

I half expect to see Monet, hat tilted, before an easel flourishing with stabs
and strokes of his brush, silhouetted not before his beloved Giverny,
but my mountains shrouded in violets and smokey blues.

Indulgently open my sketchbook, try capturing the mythic greens before me,
admire flutter-byes of butterflies, songbirds, and hawks;
embelish with artful twists of sweet lavender, ancestral golds, and blissful blues;

a midday serenade, an ode unsung, lovingly stroked and shaped
in the open air, time and movement captured with broken color,
my hat removed, sun upon my face, and I trust, Claude over my shoulder.

by Margaret Bednar, July 13, 2019

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Just One Word - Trinket"


10 comments:

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Ahhh! How idyllic! Beautiful landscape indeed, and may your angels always summon Claude to your shoulder on such occasions!

Jim said...

Beautifully written, Margaret. Paint your poetry and you won't go wrong. Thinking Monet as you write and paint will not hurt either. I like the way you integrated him into your verse.
..

Kerry O'Connor said...

I was enraptured by your description from the first lines.. a most beautiful picture in words.

Kim M. Russell said...

A restful pastoral poem, Margaret. I love the line ‘Summer morning has slipped her hold on the sun’ and the ‘mountains shrouded in violets and smoky blues’.

Old Egg said...

This really is delightful especially as Claude has inspired you!

kaykuala said...

Indulgently open my sketchbook,
try capturing the mythic greens
before me,admire flutter-byes
of butterflies, songbirds, and hawks

You said it right Marge! Monet and any other great masters will have a hold on us by just looking at their creations. Its sudden inspiration is most provocative!

Hank

Marian said...

Rolled hay as a trinket! I never would have thought of that, but from a distance they sure do pepper the landscape, like baubles. Really great idea, Margaret.

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Calm and restful Margaret- Just lovely!

robkistner said...

Love the beautiful, colorful images you created here Margaret. You have painted a wonderful picture!

Susie Clevenger said...

What a beautiful, inspiration place your word paint with this. I want to be there.