Thursday, April 11, 2019

From My Bed

123rf
From My Bed

I can pour my own drink,
read, alone, a book in bed,
or watch T.V. 'til four a.m.

but also enjoy our pillow talks,
when you fall asleep listening to me
and I lay awake as you snore

prefer not one over the other,
but relish I have both.

by Margaret Bednar, April 11, 2019

Honestly, our whole marriage has been like this as he works nights at times - and I must admit (he who thinks it's almost a "sin" to eat in bed and I think it a luxury) well, maybe it is why we've been married almost 30 years...

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Song Prompt News from Your Bed".  Pick a line from the song and use it in a poem.  I used the line "I can pour my own drink".

Also linked with "NaPoWriMo" - National Poetry Month, a celebration of poetry which takes place each April, was introduced in 1996 and is organized by the Academy of American Poets as a way to increase awareness and appreciation of poetry in the United States.

8 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

You are lucky to have both!

Jim said...

All a person needs, Margaret. It's ditto here except I need wifi like right now. I can't sit up in bed so I need a warm spot for that. Reading puts me to sleep fast as does "Murder she wrote" on TV for both of us plus we use 'sleep timer' to shut it off.
TMI, I really liked this, it set me off. Sorry. Thanks for the "It's a been there" comment, perfect.
..

Jim said...

(More clear) "Warm spot" for my feet on the floor while I'm sitting.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Definitely the best of both worlds, lucky you!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Perfect way to live!!💜💖💜

annell4 said...

A lovely poem. thanks for your comment on my post, you were right, my Son died 2014, near this time of year. I miss him.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I can relate to this completely!

Isadora Gruye said...

Completely love the dynamic of wanting another, but also wanting your own time away. Great poem! Thanks for posting!