Sunday, April 28, 2019

Aspirations

House with trees & clothes line - Walter Silver Photographs
 Aspirations 

Dreams stifle behind closed shutters,
is why I slide wide the sash come eve,
let Milky Way sail in as crickets, katydids,
and great barred owl celebrate midnight
with mockingbird, come spring, serenading his ballad.

Bobcat's yowl and fox's scream used to scare
until I adopted them as my own, more expressive
than Steinway's ivory keys.

Saturday morn, linen is clothes-pinned,
corners curl upon breeze, sigh beneath sun's swelter,
shadowed side-porch's respite declined;

find myself downhill, grass-stained, "unlady-like",
eyes still bedazzled with stars,
imagine not knight in shining armor,
but myself, gallant lady upon white steed,
giving voice for new century.

by Margaret Bednar, April 28, 2019

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Poems in April - Photographic Images Reimagined".  I think I may have incorporated all three creative devises into my poem - ekphrastic, narrative and impression of sentiment from the photos... as I wasn't sure how to label it.  Either way, it was fun and I used more than one image - even more than I posted here.  Go to the prompt and try it for yourself.

Inez Milholland - Suffrage Parade 

Milky Way ...  Thomas Ciszewski



11 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

I really love that by the end of this poem, my heart feels like it spent time in a Gothic novel, a Victorian story, and slice of a happy woman's life. This is lovely.

brudberg said...

First of all, I love the title which ties so well into that last stanza... what a great way to find her way.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is incredibly penned, Margaret!❤️ I felt like I was in a Charles Dickens classic novel!

Fireblossom said...

I love that second section. There's a whole story there.

Susie Clevenger said...

There was a warrior being born beneath the stars. I love your take on the images.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love all the places your muse took you - and your readers! Wonderful, Margaret.

tonispencer said...

I like this poem so much. A true Knight of the Realm (thank you GOT) being birthed under the stars. I love your interpretations of the pictures. You on your horse, running through the grass. Lovely poem.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love the references to several of the photos offered to write on.

Jim said...

Your words are convincing, Margaret. I would say it has emphasis on transition from one level to another in several aspects. Most dominant would be in the area of status and life style. I feel for women in particular but it may also be in the realm of minorities and personal economics. I'm wondering into which century was the concluding advancement to be made.
Thank you for the prompt, Margaret. When I went to sleep last night I was thinking of two distinct action areas where the characters would eventually meet but at 5:25 this morning I simplified and settled for a more traditional story.
..

annell4 said...

Nicely done! I loved each word of your poem...especially "linen clothes-pinned." I see there, upon that white steed!
xoxoxo

purplepeninportland.com said...

Wow! One just flowed into the other. Beautiful captures.