Monday, January 7, 2019

Haibun - "January"

123rf

Wolf Moon slowly releases her silver spell, spills into this morning's cradle of whispering golden light, my mind unspooling last year’s worries, replacing them with crisp, clean pages of fresh slanted scrawl.  Glance through window at the birch whose lacey corsets are frayed and parchment thin.  January's warmth settles upon their delicate arms, skywardly raised.  Imagine them moonlit, slender spirits coming undone, slipping outside their bark, disrobing, draping remnants upon crisp, cool breeze.

A Carolina wren lands upon a branch, nervously looks around, leery of red-tails and kestrels.  Offers a tweet.  It isn't a full chorus of finches, mocking, or bluebirds, but I appreciate his offering.  My pen scratches surface of paper, words slowly yawning, stretching as I try them out.  I want to learn calligraphy this year, perfect my quilting, join a birding group, explore waterfalls that grace this Blue Ridge, take up ballroom dancing...

From the corner of my eye, another flutter.  It's a tufted titmouse offering a melodious "peter, peter, peter".  I'm glad feeder is filled, snow has melted, sun is shining.  But around the corner, a draping of winter-white looms, which I'll ignore; today's for raising one's face toward the sun.  For rejuvenation.

Wolf Moon's silver spell
releases forest spirits,
unspools last year's fears

This is linked with "dVerse - Haibun Monday - January

Also linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - The Tuesday Platform". 

17 comments:

Grace said...

Your wolf moon and month are lush with nature's fresh winter shawl. Love the sounds of the wren and titmouse in the bird feeder. Good for you to calendar those activities and even take up ballroom dancing. Rejuvenate and look for the warmth of the sun! Happy new year!!!

Unknown said...

Love the "unspools last year's fears". The presence of birds always brightens my day.

robkistner said...

I like this Margaret, well written. Relly loved your haiku! Yes, this January's full moon on the 21st is actually a "Super Blood Wolf Moon". On my Image & Verse site I published a whole piece, including a poem about this unusual celestial event.

Kim M. Russell said...

I so enjoyed the details of nature and the hints of colour in your haibun, Margaret! And the magic of the Wolf Moon’s spell. I also like the image of ‘unspooling last year’s worries, replacing them with crisp, clean pages of fresh slanted scrawl’. I like your New Year’s resolution; I used to enjoy calligraphy, would love to quilt and am taking part in this year’s UK Birdwatch. Not sure about ballroom dancing, though.

Frank Hubeny said...

I like how the Moon's spell "unspools" fears in the haiku.

Kathy Reed said...

"Unspooling" is an excellent way of describing one's fears in the New Year.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Such lush imagery and details in this exquisite haibun, Margaret!💞

indybev said...

Such word-mastery! I was enthralled from beginning to end, loving the idea of "unspooling last year's worries" and raising one's face to the warmth of a winter sun. Beautiful!

Anmol (HA) said...

I loved the first paragraph with the delicate and well-woven imagery of the birch. It's done in such an effortless manner which makes it all the more intriguing. A lovely New Year haibun. Great to have a list of all the things that you look forward to doing. :-)

lynn__ said...

The way the paper birch peels its skin is intriguing as well as your bird visitors!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

"Today's for raising one's face toward the sun." How i love that!

brudberg said...

I love days like this... when you can raise your face to the sun.. and all those birds to observe... a day to make plans... ballroom dancing sounds like fun.

Ron. said...

Haibunilicious!

annell4 said...

Yes!!! I love your poem!!

Vicki said...

I loved this, nature soothes my soul. Lovely writing.

Jim said...

Time for releasing those "forest spirits". I like that, they are Nature's comforters.
..

KISLAYA GOPAL said...

Very apt description! The haiku goes so well with it...'unspools last year's fears' - brings so much hope and fresh perspective