Saturday, August 18, 2018

Totem Song


Totem Song

Does the eastern breeze ruffle your noble mane
as you crane your neck toward centuries old?

Do you gaze toward Northern Sea,
hear Roman Legions march, seek Hadrian's Wall
as we pause beneath sky's china blue?

Do clouds conjure ancient battles of Munster,
Aduard, and Cologne as you lean against me?

Do our hearts beat as one
as you rest your head upon mine?

Totem-like we stand
as eastern breeze calls your beauty black,
resurrecting a spirit bold.

by Margaret Bednar, August 18, 2018.  



This is for "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Weekend Challenge - Totems (hosted by Brendan)"

I owned this horse for a while (he is in a fabulous forever home).  His name is Sebastian and he is half Friesian.  He always takes my breath away as there is majesty about him.  He is the first animal that comes to mind when I think of a totem.

This poem is a re-working of two poems I wrote years ago and a few new lines added.  My daughter is with Sebastian in the photo above and below shortly after we got him (he was still a "baby" at four years of age and was growing in his winter coat...)


10 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

What a beauty he is! Wow! He is magnificent.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, he's magnificent! And so is your powerful poem.

Kim M. Russell said...

A beautiful tribute to the noble horse, Margaret, and I love the strength of the lines:
'Totem-like we stand
as eastern breeze calls your beauty black,
resurrecting a spirit bold.'

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oh, the beauteous Sebastian! What a magnificent ode to his nobility.

Brendan said...

A fine, beautiful, noble totem. May you ride it all your years.

annell4 said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful animal, and your words!

Vivian Zems said...

A magnificent creature painted with an old soul by your words. Love it .

Fireblossom said...

Sebastian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!

What a perfect tribute to him.

purplepeninportland.com said...

He is indeed a black beauty. A noble totem to have.

Jim said...

Black Beauty he is, Margaret. The totem you built made him such a royal horse, I'd love to come ride with him or rub his neck. My horse, long dead at an old age when I was off to college, was a mostly white flea-bitten gray. I rode her all over the farm and then to a country high school three miles away for two years. She liked to plod along until I started riding her five days a week going to and from school. She seemed to get a life again, perhaps by experiencing your "eastern breeze." She even learned to jump small streams. About halfway to school a couple of sisters were waiting to join me at the bottom of a hill. If we ever were to write another totem I would like trying to write of her.
..