Friday, August 24, 2018

After the Storm



After the Storm

Off the slivered moon comes a faint light,
of the sky, a sprinkling
reflected in street puddles
as I night walk,

tip my toe, scattering poems.
Watch them pulsate to life,
silence dispersed,
gently whispering prose.

Mid-day my son,
helmetless, reckless,
rides island's backroads,
saturated and swelling,

amusement overflowing,
a slam celebration;
poems now spirited
with youthful passion and voice.

by Margaret Bednar, August, 24, 2018


Linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - On the Edge of a Starry Night" -
we are to take the line: "In the street of the sky night walks scattering poems" (the last line of E.E. Cummings poem "The Hours Rise Up Putting Off Stars And It is".

I broke up the lines into four segments and used my artistic license:

I changed night walk(s) to "night walk"
and (the) is taken out so it now reads "in street puddles"



12 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Ooh this is absolutely lovely, Margaret!💞 I love the variation to the Cummings line in this poem and the image: "Watch them pulsate to life, silence dispersed,
gently whispering their prose." Thank you so much for writing to the prompt💞

Vicki said...

This is really nice, I really love the first line.

peterfrankiswrites.wordpress.com said...

Terrific photo. Such a contrast between the night and your reckless son - and 'slam celebration' is a fine line.

Anonymous said...

oh, wow - tip my toe .... to cause the ripples, to scatter the reflections, the moon, the silver light ~ poems ... pieces of ... or whole .... just delicious!
and then
the wonderful contrast, the counterpoint, which is playful and bold, the vibrant side to the more "quiet" night walk ... how daring and wonderful combination to consider and use; well done Margaret. This is fascinating and heart felt. Great job!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Love the contrast from night walking to the son, riding gleefully, midday.

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh, I like to think of your scattered poems as verses to grow on. This is beautiful and so joyful.

Helen said...

This is perfect Margaret ... and as always I love it when one of your offspring is featured!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Wonderful, Margaret. I love the detail, the progression, the joy.

kaykuala said...

poems now spirited
with youthful passion and voice.

Poems can be given a new life if one injects youthful vigor into its simplicity. Often the case in avoiding writer's block perhaps!

Hank

Jim said...

This worked out good, Margaret. The second verse grabs me, I can see those scattered poems become living creatures which are changing to prose.
..

Kerry O'Connor said...

I like the short lines - they convey the images very well.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I like the contrast between the last line of the first stanza and the first line of the third... a very clear picture.