Thursday, February 15, 2018

"Obsession"





Obsession

"The Heart wants what it wants" - Woody Allen

Desire (or dependence?) is a fervor
where "I love you" (or "I want you?")
is a succor from your lips I crave

and in the end, an indulgence
unsatisfied.

by Margaret Bednar, February 15, 2018


succor: help; relief; aid; assistance.

This is for "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Imagined by Rommy - "Love Hurts" - heartbreak/jealosy..."  A twist on Valentine's Day...

Also linked up with "dVerse Poets Pub - Meeting the Bar - Brevity"  Write a poem no more than five lines.

You have to love the 1980's -  One of my favorite movies that pokes fun of that time is Music and Lyrics with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore.  I start laughing at the very beginning!


16 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Well said, Margaret. Speaking of Drew Barrymore, whom i love, have you see the fab movie Miss You Already? SO GOOD!

Frank Hubeny said...

I remember Music and Lyrics. It might be worth seeing again. I like the build up in your poem to the tension and disappointment in the last word.

Jim said...

"Can't get enough of your kissing,
my whole body needs, craves ..."
This evokes endless thoughts, and memories. Fond memories even though the ending was abrupt. (sad story there)
Powerful five lines, Marg as ret.
..

Rommy said...

Too many people have a hard time telling apart obsession from love.

Debi Swim said...

Very smart.

brudberg said...

Love is exactly like this... maybe that disappointment can be a foundation to build from

tonispencer said...

I loved this movie!

Helen said...

Well ... I confess to having obsessed more than a few times in my 76 years ... loved a few as well!!!

kaykuala said...

and in the end, an indulgence
unsatisfied

Sadly it happens sometimes. Very true Marge!

Hank

purplepeninportland.com said...

That edgy anticipation can make the reality mediocre.

Gina said...

thats one of my favourite movies too and just love the theme song.indulgence only leads to bad outcomes, but temptation gets the better of us and in reflection we always regret that impulsiveness. why don't we ever learn? sigh

Kerry O'Connor said...

The words 'fervour', 'crave' and 'indulgence' work very well to convey the message in this brief poem.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I like the self-questioning.

Sarah Russell said...

What Helen said. Some obsession, a couple of real loves. If you live long enough, you sometimes learn the difference — but not always.

Gillena Cox said...

One for deep ponder, Nice write Margaret. Thanks for dropping by my blog

much love...

Unknown said...

very telling poem. especially love that first line "Desire (or dependence?) is a fervor".
Fun listening to the song -- hadn't heard it in a long time.
MNL (cactus haiku)