Saturday, March 5, 2016

"Cherry Esplanade"

Cherry Blossoms - Brooklyn, NYC Botanical Garden
Cherry Esplanade

Oval blossoms flirt, flush;
double flower this month of May -

as you hold my hand
beneath fleeting, fragile petals
held within cherry trees'
umbrella like palms.

We count double rows
of seventy-six,

yet bow to countless gnarled branches
sprouting elegant blooms -
whisper it's like walking within
Monet or Van Gogh;

a spiritual awakening of sorts;
of peace.

A faint aroma like a kiss,
an ache of desire - embraces us,
find it's easy to fall in love
beneath crowns of glorious pink.

by Margaret Bednar, March 5, 2016

You are invited to Listen:  https://soundcloud.com/margaretbednar/cherry-esplanade

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Kerry's Challenge - Let's Count on Our Fingers & Toes"  A theme of numbers and numerology.  76 - did a little research and embedded what I learned into this poem.  Thank you, dear Kerry, for FIVE years of this garden.  It is a a place full of inspiration and people I cherish!  

16 comments:

brudberg said...

To walk in cherry bloom... Those are moment to long for, like being inside a painting. Wow

Buddah Moskowitz said...

I am in love with this imagery. Excellent.

Kerry O'Connor said...

It is not enough to describe the beauty of nature without making the connection between man and environment, on an emotive or even spiritual level. This is something you always achieve in your poems. I felt a part of the scene.

Jeanne said...

Beautiful to see these lovely blooms

Anita Sabat said...

Wow! Perfect setting to fall in love...again & again :)

annell4 said...

And your poem is an inspiration!

Outlawyer said...

Ah--I love cherry blossoms as I grew up in Washington, D.C. and Maryland--and as an adult used to go to the Brooklyn Botanic garden. Your poem captures some of that magic, thank you. k.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful photograph, Margaret, and such wonderful words to go with it.
Have a fantastic weekend!

Jim said...

Thank you for this lively poem, Margaret. I loved the part about walking with the Monet or Van Gogh as it brought memories of visits to France. We stayed a week at St. Remy where Van Gogh spent years, one (almost) when he admitted himself to the sanitarium after cutting his ear off. I haven't thought too much of him as pink, more Olive trees with a whitish bloom. Monet's garden though was full off pinks, even his house had lots of pinks.
Your NYC Botanical Garden cherry blossoms are beautiful. In 1964 we moved to Texas from New Hampshire and drove THROUGH Washington, D.C. The pink cherry blossoms all over are what I remembered most.
..

Margaret said...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowering_Orchards

Susie Clevenger said...

What a beautiful stage nature provided for love to bloom.

Rommy said...

Oh my goodness...you've captured the moment I first kissed my husband. The cherry blossoms were in bloom then too. <3

Hannah said...

Easy indeed... I love this portion:

"bow to countless gnarled branches
sprouting elegant blooms -"

kaykuala said...

Find it's easy to fall in love

Colors can certainly open doors

Hank

Herotomost said...

Ahhhhh....right now here its Wisteria, Orange blossoms and sweet acacia. The air smells like a spiritual awakening alright, but the allergies are rooted in the depths of hell....lol. This was beautiful Margaret, an amazing harbinger.

Jennifer Wagner said...

"like walking within
Monet or Van Gogh;"

Yes! I love the imagery in your poem and I feel like I could eat that photo I'm so hungry for spring.