Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Appreciation

 


Appreciation

The dog days of summer,
of BBQ, beach and bike rides,
soft serve ice cream
beneath mid-days unforgiving sun

are sadly over -

And Indian summer,
a few final days
of frivolity and farewell
before they too flicker and fade,

is promised -

And yet, perhaps I'm fickle.
Sweaters, neatly folded for months,
long to be matched 
with mittens, scarves, boots,

comfortable friends -

My horse, fluffy as a bear,
will make a path
through pristine snow,
he, dreaming of oats,
me, hot chocolate upon trail's end,

satisfaction -

Soon followed for an eager glimpse 
of Snowdrops, Snapdragons, and Crocus,
several red breasts,
and a steady stream of sunlight,

renewal -

Saying "Goodbye" and "Hello"
to old friends, new friends,
tucking away, dusting off,
a merry-go-round,

a warm embrace.

by Margaret Bednar, September 13, 2023

May 18 was the last time I wrote a poem! It's been too long and I can't wait to read everyone's poems and catch up with "old" friends.  This is linked with "What's Going On? - How's the Weather?"  This ended up being more about the seasons, how did that happen.  I guess my creative juices took a side path but I hope it still fits in a bit with the chalenge.  I need to fine tune my skills!  

Did you know the robin was named "red breast" before the color "orange" was named.  

12 comments:

Susan said...

How lovely! I enjoy the emphasis on the positive, and particularly love "My horse, fluffy as a bear. . . ." The sensual loveliness of seasons moving in right order drifts in your poem. May you have your mittens and steady streams of sunshine, and throughout it all, that warm embrace.

Sumana Roy said...

There's a hidden gratitude in every word and line. It was so very comfortable reading your lines.
Thank you for joining us, Margaret.

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Margaret,
your poem is something of a walk through the seasons..lovely..
I too have been thinking about storing away the summer clothes and preparing for those imminent colder days. Scarves and gloves are on standby!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love your poem! Especially your horse "fluffy as a bear". I loved wandering through the seasons with you, each with its joys. Love the closing lines. So glad you linked at What's Going On? where we, too, are meeting up with old friends we havent seen for a while.

Samyuktha Semi Jayaprakash said...

Loved the summer of your youth as well the comfortable winter of wise age!

Mary said...

Yes, it is sad to realize that summer is over, but at least here we are promised a few warm days yet. I am not crazy about bringing out sweaters, but with the days growing shorter it will happen. I like the stanza about your horse...makes me want to experience this. Great to see you, Margaret.

Priscilla King said...

Lovely image of the speaker and the horse looking forward to each season as they come around. I enjoyed this.

Jane Dougherty said...

This is a world away from me, in so many ways. Still hot, and we will slip slowly into a (usually) mild winter. The year never halts. It's always active, things always growing.

rallentanda said...

Beautiful imagery. there was a lot of joy in this poem. Enjoyed it.

Truedessa said...

A wonderful carousel ride through the seasons. My summer clothes refuse to be packed away…

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Margaret! I love this, especially your horse stanza "fluffy as a bear" and the nostalgia of this poem as the seasons give way. I actually am ready for sweaters and mittens, the end of this wretched summer.

ms_lili said...

Margaret, I liked the format you used with the short lines in between the stanzas. It worked well. I also enjoyed your vivid descriptions for the seasons. Yes, a beautiful merry go round!

(This is Lisa from tao-talk)