Saturday, April 30, 2022

I Wore a Red Dress

 


I Wore a Red Dress

I wore a red dress today,

hesitated on my lipstick… too bold?

Thought, “When did my wardrobe

become boring?  When did my lips 

become pale?"


Limitations loom large. 

Ponder the fact:

Goals aren’t necessarily dreams,

nor life’s path, aspirations.  


Step outside in sensible shoes,

remember when I owned 

more stilettos than flats.  The sun is warm.

Honeybee, whom shouldn’t be able to fly,

buzzes about (didn’t get the memo),

importance just shy of water and air.


Realize I need to regrow a new “old me”,

hang on to my core, release “outgrown”,

contemplate mystical and magical,

question behavior and belief,

shed skin like Gecko,

whose pretty green darts before me.


His path crisscrosses with Butterfly,

ultimate sign of grace, of lightness, 

of life’s continuous unfolding.  


Youngest son once asked

if turtles smell flowers.  “Why not?”,

I answered.  “Just because we haven’t seen it,

doesn’t make it so.”


Repetitious days have made me forget 

I’m strong. Even bold.  January first

isn’t the only day for resolutions.


Went back inside to don a red cap 

to match my lipstick, and smile, 

as I’m the only one to know,

red panties to match.


By Margaret Bednar, April 30, 2020


This is linked with "Poets and Storytellers United - Friday Writings #24". It has been MONTHS since I last wrote poetry and it feels so good.   I also created the mixed-media collage which goes along with this poem.  i can't wait to sip morning coffee this Saturday morning and read all the incredible poems you all have written.  


10 comments:

Thotpurge said...

Do turtles smell flowers... love how that question sits there and tells a story inside a poem.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Hooray for all your red!

Brother Ollie said...

Wow - shocking ending! Red it is.

Jenna said...

I really enjoyed this. <3

Penelope Notes said...

Haha ... now that IS bold!!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Red, very cool!

Marja said...

Well lady in red I enjoyed your poem. It inspires me

Debi Swim said...

"Goals aren’t necessarily dreams,
nor life’s path, aspirations."

That brought me up short and made me think. That is so true.
I love your red attitude

Rommy said...

I'm approaching getting older a similar way. If it sparks joy for me, then I'm unapologetically enjoying it. LOL, though I have underwear with spaceship print as well as red underwear.

Jim said...

Nice to read you back, Margaret. I enjoyed your foray into old age and really like the way you backed out.
RED UNDIES WOW!!!
We have learned to live with our being old although a few of the higher numbers are hard for us to pronounce.
..