Friday, December 4, 2020

Moonshot

 


Moonshot

Remember stretching for the tip of the bow
before the pull backward and up again,
legs pumping, toes pointing,
hair aloft, lungs full, the rush of to and fro?

All was possible, a child reaching 
for the slight, light low-lying disc in summer's sky,
swinging, greeting a reflecting moon, midday -

miraculous!

But what about tonight, beneath this silver crescent,
December's coolness upon mature cheeks,
wrapped in darkness but for the glow above
trying to remember the wonder, the trust
I freely offered as youth?

Can't tuck it in pockets or ask it to wait
while I pencil in a date; iPhone's image 
a blurry smudge.  I've forgotten the importance
of immersing myself in the senses, soaking it in,
drinking from the well of this moment -

moonshot.  

Perhaps I'll loop a swing over tree limb,
settle myself come eve, and sway
as light fades and stars glimmer;
let moon become my friend again.

By Margaret Bednar, December 4, 2020

This is linked with "Poets & Storytellers United - Weekly Scribblings #48 - Words of an Unprecedented Year".    It's been a while since I have been able to sit down and write poetry - no poems in November! (I feel so out of practice - I was intimidated!) and I'm excited to visit all my fellow poet friends...  I"ve missed you.   The word I chose ... Moonshot.  What a gorgeous word.  


7 comments:

Helen said...

This is exquisite, Margaret. Your poem transported me back in time ~ to my childhood. The trust and pure innocence. Welcome back!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I so adore this! The whole poem, the images it raises, the feelings it arouses, and that wonderful line, 'drinking from the well of this moment'.

rallentanda said...

You have captured a gentler time in your lovely poem. We were lucky !

Magaly Guerrero said...

I agree, Margaret, "moonshot" is a wonderful word. And you used it in a marvelous way. I love this bit the most: "drinking from the well of this moment". All of us should take a sip. And remember to appreciate the seemingly small wonders.

Jenna said...

Oh my gosh, this is fantastic! I felt like I was there, and this made me think of how I used to always swing on the swings. My family had a swingset in our back yard.

Rommy said...

I am well and truly charmed by this piece and how it invites us to see where we can make a home for the moon and other enchantments in our hearts.

purplepeninportland.com said...

I remember how my hi loved riding on swings. Delightful poem, Margaret.