Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Down in my Bones (junk journal poems)


Down in my Bones (junk journal poems)

Down in my bones are stories
of journeys home, wandering, of fairylands,
and treetops with lookout hills -
sightings of Indians, wild rabbits below, 
darting birds,

and God clear against the sky
on the ridge.

Down in my bones are enveloped feelings
like whirling stars, blinking, 
folded moments set sail, 
only to be fish-hooked
from swirling pools

to find how beautiful 
the world is -

a chatterbox of reflections,
a mirror glowing in a little dell
where my bones will rest,
movement, confusion, no more.

by Margaret Bednar, December 16, 2020

This is the first in a series of poems that will be inspired by my junk journal drawer of bits and pieces of ribbons, stickers, pages from old books, etc.  This poem is an "eraser poem' of carefully selected words within an old page that had been made into an envelope.  The key to these type of poem's success (in my opinion) is to link them to one's own experiences and memories. They often tend to be whimsical and a little vague I think.  

7 comments:

Helen said...

Whimsical yes, vague ... not at all!! Lovely.

Jim said...

Margaret, you are enthralled with Mom Nature's world, God's beautiful creation entrusted to us for care. I too like finding words for erasure Poem crafting although I don't make many. Yours is wonderful, I can see you flirting around amongst the beauties.
..

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Beautiful – however it was arrived at. I also don't think it's vague.

Rommy said...

Very cute way to approach the prompt. LOL, I think if I tried something similar I'd spend too many verses wondering about which electronic goes with which random wire.

indybev said...

I would like to see the original envelope. I'm impressed you gleaned such a lovely, meaningful poem using the erasure formula. Kudos to you!

Margaret said...

It is my photo above :)

Magaly Guerrero said...

"to find how beautiful
the world is -

a chatterbox of reflections"

I love those lines. They made me smile. The upcoming series sounds wonderful, Margaret.