Monday, February 10, 2020

The Rooster

I invite you to listen to me read my poem (below)  photo: 123rf
The Rooster

Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, and Leghorns
pecked, chirped, picked their way through Mother's compost pile,
a source of faint clucks of contentment
and a flourish or two as hens fought over a delicacy.

It was the rooster, red with inky black tail feathers,
chest foolishly thrust forward, strutted about with a chip on his shoulder,
bright red comb and wattles a warning of sorts,
that taunted and threatened my childhood existence.

I learned to scan the yard before opening screen door,
summer sunshine beckoning, tempting me to forgo due diligence.
Once is all it took, scaled pasture fence faster than a speeding bullet,
stranded forever and a day beneath scorching midday sun,
he marching below as if a member of the Queen's Guard,
all pomp and circumstance; temperament, however, unbecoming.

Oh, but it was a classic case of pride before the fall.

The day he chose to chase Mother
was the day he fell from grace, bought a pass to the Underworld.
His body seethed with righteous indignation as the long arm of the law
aligned his head upon crescent-shaped stump,
my heart faintly sympathetic as Father's ax dealt the fatal blow.

Hens can be broody sitting upon their nest,
flattened out upon the straw, clucking, almost purring,
pecking hands gathering eggs; a small price to pay
for carefree days, backyard claimed once again as my own.

by Margaret Bednar, February 10, 2020

The bane of my childhood existence and a response to A Skylover Wordlist.  (can be found on instagram).

I changed it up a bit (I believe for the better) with the addition of the following challenge:  This is linked with "Poets and Storytellers United - Weekly Scribblings #6: Turn Cliche into Poetry or Prose".  I used more than one:  faster than a speeding bullet, forever and a day, pride before the fall, fell from grace, long arm of the law, dealt the fatal blow.

I invite you to listen to me read my poem:


16 comments:

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Helen said...

My Mother was ‘pecked’ by a rooster when she was five ... a significant scar above her eyebrow ~~~ your post brings back memories of her telling the story. When she could remember.

indybev said...

Oh my goodness, we are soul sisters. I loved your poem. Your rooster experiences mirror mine!
(See here https://indybev.blogspot.com/2020/01/take-word-fowl.html

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I loved the story! And you wove your clichés into the whole so well that I hardly noticed them.

Gillena Cox said...

Nice there were fowl and fowl coop and feeding of cracked corn in my growing up. This brought a nostalgic mood in my reading

Happy you dropped by to read mine Margaret

Much💝love

Jim said...

This was nice, Margaret. I also grew up, was born there too, on the farm. Dad farmed a small Nebraska farm on a share crop basis, one of three owned by grandpa. He farmed and took care of milk cows, feed cattle, and pigs. Mother did all the chicken and egg chores.
Every Sunday she fried a rooster, or one she had frozen from the flock. I've seen the axe and the ringing of the neck to kill the roosters. Mom would put her foot on the rooster's head and would pull it off by holding both legs for the pull.
The roosters scared and chased my sister. A goose chased Mrs. Jim at the Sam Houston home, it came right out of the pond from swimming to chase her. Word was out after on tried to chase me, I was only tried that first time.
..

Thotpurge said...

Such fun childhood memories.. though of course poor rooster...he was just doing his rooster thing :)

Khaya Ronkainen said...

Oh, what a wonderful compilation! The rooster reminds me of my own childhood experience. Thank you. And I also enjoy how you read. :)

Magaly Guerrero said...

This is wonderful, Margaret. I can feel the young girl's indignation still singing in the grown woman's voice. And goodness knows that your choices of clichés were just perfect to describe a roosters that very likely thought itself the king of the world (until he wasn't).

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is incredibly evocative, Margaret!💝 You bring back so many memories with this one and gosh what sublime use of the word-list and cliches!

Kim M. Russell said...

I love to see handsome roosters, but I’m not sure if I’d be happy getting up close to one. I love the way you described the rooster:
‘…red with inky black tail feathers,
chest foolishly thrust forward, strutted about with a chip on his shoulder,
bright red comb and wattled a warning of sorts…’
But I’m sad he came to such a tragic ending.

Rommy said...

I have very little personal experience with roosters, but I've heard stories about how temperamental they can be from relatives and friends who have them. I know when I come to visit, I need to respect the kings of the coup!

Susie Clevenger said...

Darn roosters can really wreak havoc. He got his due when he bit the wrong hand..or something like that. Love the story!

Joel (@Stranded Tree) said...

I'm seeing so many of us having similar memories that have been conjured up from your story-verse. I have similar stories with chickens, geese, hogs and cattle.
Well done, Margaret, there's some power to your words to perform that.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Such a wonderful story-poem, Margaret. I was often chased by a rooster in my childhood. They are scary.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

We never forget the enemies of our childhood, do we?