Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Two Orishas

Chelsea's body painting depicting the African Mythological Goddess, Yemaya and Oshun,
(some sites say they are one, others sisters)
Two Orishas

Of rivers and streams
and salt licked waves,
a venus in yellow-gold silk,
of peacock feathers, of cinnamon,
and seaside cowrie shells.

Of lakes and seas
and moonlit crescent nights,
an ocean mother of peaceful blues 'n whites,
of butterfly wings, loves and dreams,
and sprinkled pumpkin seeds.

Voices chant on sand and rocky shore,
passionately persuade, fiercely protect,
of incense and perfume,
Oshun & Yemaya; Goddesses
stirring Africa's life-giving waters.

by Margaret Bednar, January 15, 2020 (revised "Two Voices" March 8, 2013)

My interpretation of Oshun and Yemaya is both are Orishas (Gods of Santeria of which there are many - Yemaya being the older sister of Oshun.  Many sites, many different versions.  The above poem is a reworking of a poem I wrote in 2013.  HERE is a site that explains a bit about them.

This is linked with "Poets and Storytellers United - Weekly Scribblings #2: Myth-placed"

13 comments:

Gillena Cox said...

Intriguing

Much✏love

Marja said...

Beautiful poem

Kim M. Russell said...

I love the ‘salt licked waves’ and ‘moonlit crescent nights’. Thank you for introducing me to Oshun & Yemaya, Margaret.

Jae Rose said...

Your poem conveys a wonderful understanding of the myth - wrapped up with some stunning imagery

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is beyond beautiful!💝 I especially love; "an ocean mother of peaceful blues 'n whites, of butterfly wings, loves and dreams, and sprinkled pumpkin seeds." Thank you so much for introducing us to Oshun and Yemaya.

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

Very intriguing reading for me, Margaret. I was completely ignorant of this particular cult though it is typical of the human race's quest and solution finding for our existence and behavior. Thank you. For me your summation. "Voices chant on sand and rocky shore,
passionately persuade, fiercely protect,
of incense and perfume,.." 
..

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh, this is so beautiful. Love the photo!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I’ve always had a fondness for the Orishas, especially Oshun. Have not come across the idea that she and Yemaya are one, but then I am no scholar in this lore. I love your poem about them as sisters; beautifully and joyously described.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

PS Oh, how could I go without commenting what a fabulously wonderful image Chelsea has created!

Rommy said...

It's nice to see the Orishas getting their due. I'd love to see more things written about them

Magaly Guerrero said...

I love this poetic chant. I can imagine it being read by the sea, with a orchestra of waves accompanying the words.

purplepeninportland.com said...

An exciting tale, with a stunning painting.