Tuesday, January 7, 2020

From a Victorian Inn

From a Victorian Inn

Moonless it may be, but this midnight hour from my Victorian window shimmers and shines with the vibrance of an apparition as Christmas still sways from porch and pine. Paislied curtain pulled aside, I see pomp & circumstance have been stripped from hydrangeas, find I’m charmed by their skeletal remains bobbing and dancing upon January’s brisk breeze.  They will bloom again, as will I, glorious spring will surge through roots and veins with the circle of life, yet this moment solitude is the canary released from its cage, wraps me with wonder as I stand alone, tenderly tuck last year away and turn towards the new.

My hands plant the seeds
that darkness will envelope
but never contain.

By Margaret Bednar, January 7, 2020

This is linked with “Poets and Storytellers United - Pantry #1”

dVerse Haibun Monday”- ponder new beginnings, and “Skylover Word List” - I used 7 of 10 words listed 

14 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is a very introspective description at the turning of the year, Margaret.
Thank you for including words from my Skylover Wordlist. You made great use of them!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Margaret, it is lovely to read this in the midst of dark global news. The coming of spring is an annual miracle. Mother Earth, moving through her cycles, in spite of how poorly we have tended her. In our gardens, at least, we are kind to her.

A Reading Writer said...

such a reflective poem, Margaret. the haiku is beautiful

Kim M. Russell said...

I love the image of ‘pomp & circumstance …stripped from hydrangeas’ – I can see the skeletal remains of our one hydrangea from my study window.

Ron. said...

Vary placid & very calming overall, closing with an extremely positive haiku. This is what all Haibun aspire to and ideally should be. Well done.

Yvonne Osborne said...

I love your haiku. Perfect.
Thank God for spring, porches and pine,.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I love how in your poem--and in life, if we truly look--the darkness works to frame the light. Not to trap it, but to show just how lovely it is. The haiku is a delight.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

I love your words Margaret and the joy therein.
Lovely!
Anna :o]

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

brudberg said...

This is a wonderful haibun... the turn of the year provides a beginning from the decay of the bloom.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

You create lovely images and a lovely mood.

Grace said...

I can't wait for that glorious spring. Happy new year Margaret. Hope all is well.

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Gorgeous Margaret! Love the 'skeletal remains of hydrangeas.'

Khaya Ronkainen said...

A lovely haibun that gentle folds the previous year as it turns towards the new. I really like the calm assurance through out your piece, and especially of hydrangeas blooming again in spring.