Sunday, October 13, 2019

The Monarch


The Monarch

Molten gold, mango, and amber dance, dip, and catch filtered light of afternoon's departing storm.  A miniature Van Gogh outlined with black ink splashes grey sky like Vincent's irises saturate the dirt.  The hawk first stole my breath, soared low, shadowed amongst evergreens, snatched something from a branch and hurtled swiftly downward to consume its prey.  I'm startled, torn between majesty of the previous moment and violence of the next.  And now, seconds later its as if I'm being presented with a peace offering; watch as Monarch dissolves into a dot, continuing its journey along Mountain's rim.

stormy skies belie
the promise of a fresh breeze
and sun's swift return.

by Margaret Bednar, October 2, 2019

This is linked with "dVerse Poets Pub - Haibun Monday: Insect"

and "Poets United - Poets Pantry#496"

8 comments:

Kim M. Russell said...

I love your description of the Monarch, Margaret, the colours are gorgeous, and the phrase 'miniature Van Gogh outlined with black ink' evokes a vivid image. After such beauty, I too was startled by the violence, I'm so glad the Monarch got away.

Thotpurge said...

I like the contradictions - the storm and sun and the majesty and violence - one moment and the next.

Jae Rose said...

I love the two contrasting pieces - they capture atmosphere superbly

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Wonderful haibun, full of all sorts of things I relish.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I am literally swooning right now!! ❤️

Wendy Bourke said...

Wonderful! The juxtapositioning of images throughout is impactful and mesmeric. This is very special.

dsnake1 said...

i like how the haiku sums up the prose, really neat!
i like too the contrast in the prose, between the strength and power of the hawk, to the calm, peaceful flight of the Monarch.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I love how that final promise lingers... soothing the heart.