Monday, October 7, 2019

The Meeting Place


The Meeting Place

Yes, on little cat feet the fog rolled in,
but hasn’t tiptoed on; instead has settled
for a long catnap.  Whiskery branches
tickle my shoulders and back
along narrow woodland trail,
puppies' barking muffled;
hope they aren’t as far off as they sound.

It’s damp and I wrap my shawl about me
as early mornings have become chilly,
my footing slips a bit as the leaves are damp,
the crunch and playfulness of yesterday’s hike
replaced with tedious wariness.

An owl's hooting is what set them off,
the cloistered atmosphere perhaps
giving them confidence; it troubles me
as I can barely see my hand before my face,
yet the rolling terrain of the mountain
offers a respite of sorts when I reach
the hilltop, fog yawns a bit, offers me
a brief glimpse of the family cemetery.

Golden marigolds encircle numerous sugar skulls
placed beneath an altar of pumpkins, gourds,
and a bottle of whiskey; a favorite indulgence
of a few buried beneath this hallowed ground.
I’ve always enjoyed it here,
especially during the Day of the Dead,
when we celebrate our loved ones’
spiritual journey and remember and tell stories
of our ancestors.

We aren’t Mexican, but we’ve fashioned
a celebration of our own;
the smell of tamales in the kitchen,
sugared sweet rolls pulled from the oven,
and the hibiscus tea with its ruby red color
make me want to hurry back without the puppies
and finish up the leftovers.

Mother fashioned me a Halloween costume;
a La Catrina skeleton, mask a bit scary,
but the dress is emerald and chartreuse
with matching hat; the ensemble’s  flourishes
and ornamentals are so beautiful
I plan on leaving it on display all year;
(and partly because the mannequin
scares my little brother!)

The puppies burst through my thoughts,
tongues lolling sideways, all wet,
look like furry crazed skeletons;
whites of their eyes flashing about
proving they are very much alive.

And that’s fitting, in this place
where I imagine our spirits meet the other side
for a brief moment.  I fondle my puppies ears,
say a quick prayer, before taking off after them
as they run toward the house;
hopefully not tempted with another adventure.

By Margaret Bednar, October 7, 2019

I invite you to listen to me read my poem:


This is linked with "Poets United - Pantry of Poetry and Prose - October is Here"  Maximum of 369 words.  I am three under with 367.  Of course, "little cat feet" is a nod to Carl Sandburg.


13 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I loved taking this walk with you and the puppies. The injured one sounds like it has made a good recovery. Yay! Love the family celebration, too. It sounds wonderful.

brudberg said...

The atmosphere with the fog on cat-paws is perfect. It seems like October is a long buildup to the feasts of death... here in Sweden we decorate our graves.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Love this especially; "Golden marigolds encircle numerous sugar skulls
placed beneath an altar of pumpkins."💖

Magaly Guerrero said...

I saw the beginning of Sherry's comment and smile. Because she mentions one of the details I love about this poem (and your poetry in general)--you always take the reader with you. Now, I'm smelling the tamales.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Every detail leads me on, enraptured. I enjoyed hearing you read it, too.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

PS Nice allusion to Sandburg! (Didn't want you to think we'd all missed it.)

Bodhirose said...

I love your opening with the heavy fog likened to a cat's settling in for a lengthy nap. I rather like the idea of the Day of the Dead but my family never came up with any type of celebration of our relatives who have passed on. Your imagery is so clear that I can even hear those puppies in the distance too.
Gayle ~

Old Egg said...

Beautifully written, I wonder why more poets don't write about themselves and their lives (and dogs of course) as it such poems are a joy for both author and reader.

Jim said...

A nice Autumn, October, homegrown celebration. All month long. If you want to have therapy dogs then continue to play with their ears and feet as well. Those you will visit don't establish regular dog's body bounds. Or break them like breaking a horse to ride, they will be fondled during visits.
..

Jae Rose said...

I felt that I was on the walk with you - some beautiful descriptions along the way

Khaya Ronkainen said...

Oh Margaret, what a delight to listen to you read your poem! Really enjoyed it, and meant more than it would if I only read it. Thank you, this is a wonderful depiction of October.

Helen said...

I so enjoyed hearing your voice! ~~~ in this place
where I imagine our spirits meet the other side
for a brief moment ~~~ beautiful.

Rommy said...

October does give us enchanting sights and sounds, as well lovely reasons to celebrate.