Wednesday, October 23, 2019

The Chapel

123rf

The Chapel

"Do you know what the earth meditates upon in Autumn?"  Pablo Neruda

Autumn's mid-afternoon sun
slants just so, backyard a chapel,
St. Francis almost drowning in gold and scarlet,
no need for fancy vestments
as Fall's bounty provides the finery.

With arms raised, the congregation
of maple and oak offer adoration, swaying,
genuflecting, perhaps remembering
summer's sumptuous behavior,
pleading forgiveness as October's eve,
with cool eye, seemingly judges.

A squirrel scampers along a branch,
acorn, not eucharist, upon his tongue,
although upon reflection,
from mighty Oak it came,
offering sustenance, offering life...

and so I join this thanksgiving,
submit to the Su(o)ns warmth
and Autumn's gracious sanctuary,
strip myself of worries and wants,
lean against Maple, pray
for God's love to strengthen me.

by Margaret Bednar, October 23, 2019

This is linked with "dVerse - Tuesday Poetics - The Question as Poetry" and "Poets United - Midweek Motif - Forgiveness"

pondering on the ending... for God's love to enlighten me.  to fortify me.  to grow within me.  to renew me.  

19 comments:

Susan said...

Yes! I see him, arms raised, supplicating the trees! To join in that chapel with squirrel and acorn should be strengthening indeed. I love it!

Debi Swim said...

I love that third stanza and this: "and Autumn's gracious sanctuary"

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This was such a beautiful read. I can see the blaze of colour, feel the mother basking in the sun's, and the son's, warmth.

Joel (@Stranded Tree) said...

As a planter of trees (about 3000, so far) I also like the third stanza.
"lean against Maple, pray
for God's love to strengthen me."
I'd like to hang on to that one, if I may.
You've spoken to me, Margaret. Thank you

Sumana Roy said...

This poem is like a canvas adorning vibrant images of myriad hues. Beautiful.

Laura Bloomsbury said...

Aside from the picturesque canvas of words, I really like the celebrant tone and of course that wonderful ending
"strip myself of worries and wants,
lean against Maple, pray
for God's love to strengthen me."

Thank you for joining in with the prompt

Gillena Cox said...

"With arms raised, the congregation
of maple and oak offer adoration,"

My favourite lines

Much💞love

Jae Rose said...

What a great sense of reflection this conveys

Old Egg said...

There is so much to be thankful for in our lives so it is best to ignore the negatives we see on the news.

Thotpurge said...

The congregation of maple and oak- what a tremendous image!

vesseys said...

What a beautiful chorus nature sings to the King.
You have written a rich and fragrant piece of gratitude.
Margaret - I hope you and your family are well.
I miss the meeting of minds and hearts on these poetic outings - cant wait til Heaven.

Be blessed sweet one.
~ Moonie

Jim said...

This is beautiful, Margaret. God has made this world where all around, if we will, we can see His love and plans for us.
I must read more of Neruda, your quote tells me so. My interest in his life and works grew immensely since we visited his Valparaiso home. Most of our cultural visits have been painting artists.
..

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Margaret,

It was a delight to read your poem. Most uplifting, full of graces and a forgiving spirit...I loved the squirrel scampering with an acorn, in place of eucharist...

Revived Writer said...

This is beautifully written! I love the comparison of fall's leaves with church vestments and the extension of that metaphor.

brudberg said...

This is a wonderful ode to autumn. I really love all the colors, the way you can really enjoy and relax... so much to be thankful for.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

There is, indeed, strength in forgiveness.

The Bizza said...

I love the autumn imagery you used here. Reading this places me in a calm, reflective mood, and suddenly the nature of forgiveness seems so simple.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

R's Rue said...

Lovely.