Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Soaring


Soaring

It's the breeze brushing my cheeks
that carries the silken milkweed,
pods finally bursting,

escaping

above wind-tickled grasses
and cattails welcoming us
along pond's edge

trusting

my black stockinged buckskin
will join the spirit of the moment,
tail and mane flowing,

searching

galloping beneath me: my wings,
releasing me for a moment;
a ribbon unwound,

fluttering

absorbing autumn's tranquility,
understanding the stubborn oaks
who refuse to release their colors

celebrating

another season; holding fast
to the lightness I felt as a child
upon my soaring Pegasus.

by Margaret Bednar, October 16, 2019

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Music with Marian - Prairie in the Sky". 

6 comments:

Jae Rose said...

I love the sense of story and adventure in this poem - and the magic of flying horses

Marian said...

Ahhh, really nice, Margaret. This feels just so serene.

Helen said...

~ the energy in these lines, is visceral ~~ and beautiful.

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh, I love this. I wish I had learned to ride a horse. It sounds like an amazing experience.

brudberg said...

I can really feel how much you love to be riding... very nice.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the format of this poem and how it looks on the page. And you made me feel the winglift of riding. Beautiful.