Thursday, September 19, 2019

I'd Like to Thank...

123rf
I'd Like to Thank...

I waited for about thirty minutes.  Annoyed.
Had things to do,  This routine,
this inconvenience, tiresome.

"Please, follow me"
took me by surprise.
thought, "This is it.  My turn."
Remember thinking
"one foot in front of the other."

The hallway stretched through eternity,
(fifteen seconds transformed!)
imagined a red carpet, suspenseful music,
imagined film crackling
as it wound around the reel,
wondered about next scene,
would I know my line?

What kind of actress should I be?  Tragic?
Dramatic? Composed?

"Everything looks the same.  No change"
the nurse said.  "Reschedule for six months."

The lump I'd suddenly scripted; deleted.
No Academy Award, no nomination...

but I'd still like to thank my lucky stars,
God, and the harvest moon ...

gold plated bronze and crusader's sword
gladly traded for this light
which shines upon my upturned face
and bare breasts this night.

by Margaret Bednar, September 13, 2019

This is linked with "dVerse Poets Pub - Waiting for a Poem"   This happened just recently - I have, a "something" that my mammogram showed as something to watch.   2nd check and all is fine.  But honestly, those few seconds down the hallway I HONESTLY thought "This is it..."

Awe - I just missed the deadline for this prompt but ... do yourself a favor and click and enjoy the other poets' take on this challenge.

Since I missed the above, I am linking this to "dVerse Open Link Night".

Also linked with "The Sunday Muse - Wednesday Muse - Harvest Moon".

I have a hot tub on our back deck - backyard the Blue Ridge Parkway.  No neighbors can see in and my daughter asked me why I always wear a bathing suit.  So, I let the moon shine upon me, in thanksgiving, in wonder, in celebration.


10 comments:

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Oh these frightening moments greet far too many women.

Your take on this experience is unique and somehow adds some lightness, acceptable and tasteful lightness, to a very tough and far too often devastating experience. Well done.

Arcadia Maria said...

You described this scene so well that many can relate to the emotional roller coaster. Well written. Thanks for sharing.

Truedessa said...

Your fear is real, the unknowing and then the the sigh of great relief. I am glad all went well for you :)

kaykuala said...

Hank experienced the anxiety and worry when the good wife was told of that mysterious lump. Surgically removed and things got better in the household!

Hank

Carrie Van Horn said...

I am glad you are ok Margaret! That hallway walk must have been a long one indeed!! A beautiful capturing of a bitter sweet moment in your life! 🌷

tonispencer said...

I am glad that all went well. Being a cancer survivor, I can well imagine your fear.

Kerfe said...

One of the worst kinds of waiting. Glad all is OK.

ms_lili said...

When the mind doesn't know how to prepare for information of the worst or best, it is agonizing. I love the way you describe your smile. Glad it was good news.
JadeLi/Lisa at http://tao-talk.com

robkistner said...

Hey Margaret — Hi poet!. Wanted to let you know I am “temporarily” sightless in my right eye from a retinal disease. It is a struggle fir me to write, but I will still wrote my pieces, going very slowly. Reading at any length is extremely difficult, and causes painful headache — so wanted to say thanks for contributing to OLN. But I won’t be able to read what you wrote, yet I wanted to visit. I spent a little time writing this best I could with one eye, i copied it, and I am pasting it in here to say hi. Got an operation coming up in about a week when the infection is down. Hopefully things will get back to normal.thanks, Rob

Georgina said...

So well described, fear, uncertainty of how to react,feel. You capture it so well and the anxiety many women go through if not given an all clear mammogram. Had one today so very topical for me and wait two weeks. Glad all has gone well and I guess it is hard if a recall is needed.