Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Honeycombed


Honeycombed

His voice, like honey
and me the bee drawn to spring nectar,
summer sunflowers, garden yarrow, goldenrod,

and hazy afternoons
when sunlight gleams as refined amber,
dips, seemingly swoons at his voice as I do.

Honeycomb myself, wait; watch a blue iris sky
slide into candied lavender, caress saffron sunset
as it blinks and nods into fine faded blue linen,

long horizon all the while cradling anticipation
as droning suspends, faithful worker bee heads home,
wooing his Queen with hints of honey.

Coming home.  I smile, tie yellow ribbon 'round my dress,
wait for his greeting; his harvest a tint of sweetness
upon my lips.

by Margaret Bednar, September 25, 2019

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Bits of Inspiration - The Colors in a Song" and "Poets United - Midweek Motif - Honey/Bee"

The colors the song below evokes in me are golds/yellows and a touch of blue.  Comforting colors, loving colors (for me).

13 comments:

Susan said...

This stanza took my breath away:
"Honeycomb myself, wait; watch a blue iris sky
slide into candied lavender, caress saffron sunset
as it blinks and nods into a fine faded blue linen . . . "

Sumana Roy said...

This is such a sweet poem with some striking images. Love the stanza already quoted by Susan.

Kim M. Russell said...

I love this merging of the two prompts, Margaret! You’ve slowed down the pace and tone to match the song. My favourite lines are:
‘when sunlight gleams as refined amber,
dips, seemingly swoons at his voice as I do’
and
‘long horizon all the while cradling my anticipation’.

Jim said...

This is an enjoyable read, Margaret. The worker goes out, far away, like a coal miner of old, while at home she anticipates him coming back. "Honeycomb myself, wait; watch a blue iris sky" and here he will come back with treats for me, his Queen. All through it's so very rich, I'll read a third time.
..

Jae Rose said...

You have captured so many wonderful images and feelings in this poem

Helen said...

Like a mellow perfectly blended honey, you captured the colors in Comimg Home beautifully ... and lovingly. Ah, the sweet anticipation.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, how beautifully done!

tonispencer said...

Beautifully done. You merged the two prompts perfectly.

purplepeninportland.com said...

"Honeycomb myself, wait; watch a blue iris sky
slide into candied lavender, caress saffron sunset
as it blinks and nods into fine faded blue linen,"

Two prompts melded together for ultimate beauty.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh! The blue iris sky changing to lavender. So lovely!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

My goodness this is too gorgeous for words!!!❤️❤️

Panchali said...

What a refreshing read...the beautiful images instantly rejuvinate all the senses. So well done!

Susie Clevenger said...

Sigh, your poem is so beautiful. It brought me to tears. Thank you so much for taking part in the prompt!