Thursday, August 15, 2019

La Catrina & Our Lady

 


La Catrina & Our Lady

Growing up, eyes of darkness and light
watched me every day as I arrived and departed,
blind faith residing in youthful heart.

Virgin in Blue next to Woman in Red:
lady bosses, one with sombrero and frills,
the other cloaked in stars (and rosary beads),

absolute friends, not mirror images of the other
as love and survival aren't the same.

Nicknamed one Truth, and Salsa the other;
each night in prayer, asked them to remember me
when it was my time,

as going home to glory was the testament
and heartbeat of Abuelita.  She'd say “Angels fall,
but 2nd chances were God's amazing grace",

And since I'd been baptized
and knelt before the confessional weekly,

original sin and true evil
weren’t clear and present dangers as Abuelita's hand
held mine each Sunday morning

and with fingertips from her lips to statues’ base
and holy water traced upon my forehead
(a near-perfect cross), we left for church;

certainly, no greater love and protection existed.

by Margaret Bednar, August 15, 2019

la abuela (grandmother) but one says "abuelita" when "dearest grandmother" is meant in a very personal way.  At least that is my understanding ... 

This is for "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Artistic Interpretations - La Catrina and the Wall of Books".  I researched La Catrina - a Mexica icon (her persona is described a bit in the linked challenge) - and was intrigued when I read she was a fixture in many Mexican homes.  I also know how important Our Lady of Guadalupe is to their religion and culture - so I pondered how the two could co-exist.   The other challenge was to use at least ten of the titles of the "wall of books" I photographed with the image of La Catrina painted on them.  If you click on the link you will see more images, but one is posted below (which was part of the inspirational challenge).

Book Titles Used:  Growing Up, Eyes of Darkness, Faith, Woman in Red, Original Sin, True Evil, Clear and Present Danger, The Confession, My Life, Lady Boss, Absolute Friends, Mirror Image, Love and Survival, Truth and Salsa, Remember Me, The Testament, Heartbeat, Angels Fall, 2nd Chance, Amazing Grace, No Greater Love, Near Perfect.




9 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is gorgeously written, Margaret!! ❤️ I am in absolute awe 😊

Kim M. Russell said...

I love the duality in this poem, Margaret, the ‘eyes of darkness and light’, the arrival and departure, Virgin in Blue residing next to Woman in Red. Your poem is a light-filled exploration of the mysteries of the Catholic religion.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I nicknamed one Truth, and Salsa the other;
each night in prayer, asked them to remember me
when it was my time

I love the juxtaposition you have created here. Such an amazing prompt, Margaret. Thank you.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I LOVED this so much, especially the names Truth and Salsa. Masterfully done, Margaret and a very cool prompt, too.

Jim said...

Opposites attract. You kept the contrast even throughout. I liked the action, well thought out.


Susie Clevenger said...

This is beautiful, perfect.

Old Egg said...

What delightful writing this is. A beautiful read.

purplepeninportland.com said...

Love the contrast in this beauty, Margaret. Thanks for a unique prompt/1

Debi Swim said...

I, too, love the juxtaposition you have created here. Lady Bosses and Truth, and Salsa are just perfect. You rocked your prompt!