Sunday, March 1, 2020

Coney Island

As of March 1, 2020 (NOW) I am hosting a NEW Bi-Monthly "Artistic Interpretations" at a new blog site set up for this new challenge.   All are welcome, poets, painters, etc.  Click on the link below and read the details.  I hope you can join the creativity.

Coney Island

Before the clamor and confusion of mid-day,
before shadows slant lean and low
and seagulls dive-bomb a littered beach,

I gaze down the grey-boarded walk
bejeweled with brightly colored umbrellas
and awnings hawking lobster rolls, soft serve, and beer.

It’s a calm before the storm, a respite;
ghostlike. As if I look hard enough,
I’ll transport back in time

when five cents gypsied one down the tracks
to a beachside breeze, promise of a Nathan’s frank,
and a Steeplechase thrill.

Electro Spin and Sea Side Swing seem overshadowed
by Wonder Wheel’s grace (that’s probably still the same)
and Classic Rock rolls its rhythm 

as Carousel and Thunderbolt act as grand sentinels
(that’s how I imagine it). I’m eventually drawn to the beach
dotted with small shaded oasis’s, crowded with coolers and chairs.

“Cold Corona’s, Cotton Candy!, Snow Cones”. 
“Get it!, Get it!” and I buy 2 umbrellas for $20,
my own refuge beneath a partially cloudy sky,

close my eyes as a life guard’s whistle blows,
children laugh, bicker, cry
and Latino hip hop filters from over my left shoulder. 

By Margaret Bednar, July 1, 2019







I invite you to listen to me read my poem:


24 comments:

Jim said...

Maegaret, this will be a classic for me. Thank you for taking us there, wish now I were there. I'll have a Nathan's Hot Dog with chili. Riding out is fun too, the subway train goes overhead, then one can dream of the goings on in the pretty Brooklyn neighborhoods.
Drive safely back today, I don't envy you that.
..

Kerry O'Connor said...

You convey the utmost delight in all the sights and sounds! Yippee!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This was a lovely respite from my thoughts this morning, Margaret. Thank you for that.

brudberg said...

I really feel that this is made so much sweeter by the memory....

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is absolutely lovely!πŸ’– I could feel every word and image 😊

tonispencer said...

I love a Nathans frank with nustard please! A fun read.

Thotpurge said...

A lovely memory... somehow my idea of a beach is solitude and walks ...but this sounds like a fun break!

Rommy said...

That brought me back to my teenage years, including the sound of Latin freestyle on the beach.

Yvonne Osborne said...

I can feel it and hear it and I've never seen it!

C. Sandlin said...

Cool in so many senses! :) An evocative write.

Carrie Burtt said...

A lovely place! You have described it beautifully Margaret!

tonispencer said...

I have never heard mexican hiphop. Some how I think that would make me hotter, not cooler!

Peggy C said...

Awesome. Reminded me of my days at Coney Island. Great job!

brudberg said...

I never visited a place like this... but it sounds both amazing and amusing.

Vivian Zems said...

This is a scene I would very like to be a part of! I listened to it and read along. This is my favourite of yours. I absolutely love narrative poetry ❤️πŸ™ŒπŸ½

indybev said...

What a magical place in your memory. Thanks for taking us along.

ZQ said...

Great journey through your thoughts and visuals.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I enjoyed your reminiscences!

Good luck with the new challenge.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I can see, hear, and feel your poem so clearly. I haven't been to Coney in ages! But you know what? I smell the treats and felt the warming laughter through your words.

Thank you for this, Margaret!

Thotpurge said...

Sounds like summer. Sounds like fun!

Joel (@Stranded Tree) said...

I anticipate action with each line. I never had a chance to visit the place in person but your verses and pictures give me a chance to visit here.

Gillena Cox said...

Thanks for sharing your Summer fun Margaret. Happy you dropped by my sumie Sunday


(✿◠‿◠)
much love

Khaya Ronkainen said...

Absolutely beautiful, and so much fun! Your poem takes me back to my youth day under the South African sun.

Jim said...

We've been missing you, Margaret. I hope you are alright.
..