Thursday, June 27, 2019

It's all Hokey Pokey



It's all Hokey Pokey

Musically gifted, I’m not,
no operatic soprano arias 
nor Demure rhythms from my rendering;

such folderol and fiddle-dy-dee
remain impossible 
even if I had a Fairy Godmother.

Momentary lapses I’ve had; 
karaoke (once, before cell phones, thank God)
and a derring-do on stage,

but usually fist-pump 
if I memorize full lyrics of a song
I’ve known since childhood.

If a bit snookered and a good band,
instantaneously, I’m a dancer; treat the crowd
to a twist (and shout), a few gyrating spins,

a bit of “shaking it all about”.  
Lucidity returns soon enough, 
but the joy of believing, just a smidgen, 

that I'm capable of dancing with the stars,
is my blancmange without the calories...
and that leaves me smug and satisfied.

by Margaret Bednar, June 27, 2019

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Get Listed! with Fireblossom" We had a list of words and I think I used 15 (we only had to use 3 - but where is the fun in that?).

I invite you to listen to me read my poem:


11 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

I enjoyed this poem, Margaret.. I can see you indulging in the occasional shake, rattle and roll!

Lori said...

What a cool take! I'm a fan of Karaoke I must admit! I love to sing and I love to dance. And your poem moved me!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Well-done, Margaret. And I suspect you DO have a sizable musical gift.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh I love it, because I am full of fellow-feeling. I can't sing or dance either – though I do usually remember the lyrics (but that's doubly frustrating as most who can and do sing get them wrong). Brilliant use of the words, and I love the way you read this too. (Fascinated to hear that over there you pronounce 'blancmange' a little differently from what we say here. We slur over the first, unstressed syllable as 'bluh'.)

Jim said...

I like this too, Margaret. Right away I thought about doing the Hokey-pokey on roller skates like we used to do. BTW, I met my first wife at a skating rink.
..

tonispencer said...

What a delight! I don't care for karaoke but I do love it when people di it. I can just see you twisting and shouting . Rock and roll Margaret!

Old Egg said...

How I enjoyed this Margaret, I wasn't a great dancer but how I loved the trad jazz bands of the 1950's

Fireblossom said...

Used them all, didn't you? That's not easy!

Marian said...

This is really fun. I'm so grateful that there were no smartphones for my dumb years :)

robkistner said...

This is great Margaret! “Shake it up baby...!” :-)

brudberg said...

I think we would have fun going out... I'm a lot more of a dancer than a singer to be there...

Bless a life without smartphones (I started to think, and think just the thought makes me shiver)