Sunday, April 7, 2019

Conversion

123rf
Conversion

I grew up a stone's throw from Chicago,
where impatience is considered authoritative,
disinterest as focused, rushed as efficient.

Married, moved south, Texas south,
where they commented on my accent, good-naturedly,
(excuse me, Midwesterners don't have one),
always waved, smiled, made time to chat,
and courtesy is as important as religion.

Now I reside in the Blue Ridge Mountains
where small towns receive many tourists
of which I can usually pick out the Northerner,
feel a bit of comradery, sip my soda water,
wonder if I finally blend in...

and hope I do.

Margaret Bednar, April 8, 2019

I still say "pop" as that is what we call it up North but after all these years living in the south... I sometimes do call it "soda".  That's a huge concession.  I don't say "ya'll" and probably never will, but who knows...

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Just One Word - Etiquette"

Also linked with "NaPoWriMo" - National Poetry Month, a celebration of poetry which takes place each April, was introduced in 1996 and is organized by the Academy of American Poets as a way to increase awareness and appreciation of poetry in the United States.

5 comments:

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I enjoyed your poem.

Never been to Chicago, but I dislike that rushed city living, and I did love the graciousness of Texans when I was there.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Sigh .. I wonder that too sometimes but with time have understood it's better to stay true to origin. Lovely write 💜💜

Thotpurge said...

Aah I can connect to that...but one absorbs a bit of every place and culture and is all the better for it!

Susie Clevenger said...

I know what you mean. I came to Texas from Missouri..two different animals

Marian said...

Oh this is an endlessly interesting topic! I grew up in western PA, where everyone says pop, but having lived in New England for 20+ years... it's SODA here. So much fascination about language. Your language journey is cool.