Saturday, December 29, 2018

Dearest Friend

I see Mac, our Goldendoodle in the formation over
the mountains here... (side of his face upper right,
ear flapping, body stretched out in a run)
Dearest Friend

I swear I've seen you
from the corner of my eye,
slip by on your way to the water bowl
or toward open front door to gaze
down curving, mountain road.

Seen you in clouds, fluffy ears flapping,
in the stars, jumping the gorge,
staring through the window to come inside -

for it’s hard to let you go.

* * *

I watched as you gazed
into the children's eyes, head resting
upon their knees.  You were happy,
day filled with love, bacon,
a very slow, wobbly walk, lakeside.

Last look at all of us,
eyes still alert, but body too weak
for your big heart.

* * *

In those few seconds
when you looked at me, I could only try
and convey how much you meant
to my Mother's heart,  thanked you
for loving my children all these years,

a gentle presence when I scolded,
a nudge when they needed a friend,
a tail that always said "Let's play!"

* * *

A blessing to be surrounded
by all those you love,
who love you, to have our smiles,
our voices, our hands over you
as we stayed and said

"Thank you, Dearest Friend",
as your spirit rose above us
and surely said the same.

by Margaret Bednar, December 29, 2018

RIP Mackinaw - our friend of almost 15 years.   Joined the angels on 12-27-2018



Mac with his beloved children & two little buddies Gimli & Mojo.  RIP 12-27-2018
This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Artistic Interpretations with Margaret - Alcohol Inks"

This is why dogs are so important!

Um... Dogs were not allowed in bed... right.

As she says ... a very exclusive club of 2!

He was the CUTEST puppy!

He put up with a lot!




11 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This made me cry, Margaret. What happiness he brought to your family. Memories you will carry forever. It is so hard to lose them.

brudberg said...

What a lovely and sad poem of your friend. The way you pulled it from the clouds in the image is amazing... it does look like his spirit.

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh Margaret, this beautiful poem brought tears. It is so hard to lose a furry family member.

annell4 said...

Such a sad poem, it is simply the best poem! You made me think of my Beau's last day...and what his leaving meant to me. And all the others who left in their turn, each loved the very best.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Margaret. This is a beautiful poem.

Jim said...

A wonderful tribute to Mackinaw I loved reading those sightings brought forth by memory exaggerations. I could just see him trotting down the hillside, beautifully written.
You will continue to miss him for a long, long time. I still miss my Adi Beagle Dog so very much. She was my buddy, she died o. 2013.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Your first part has me weeping already, Margaret! I had the exact same experience when Jasper died.. the sense of his presence persisted for a long time after he was gone. I'm glad your boy had one last Christmas with the children.. and is now in the happy hunting ground.

Anmol (HA) said...

This is such a beautiful tribute and remembrance! The image of him in the clouds is heartwarming. It's wonderful that he was surrounded by all those he loved and all those who loved him. I adore the pictures that you shared too.

The Bizza said...

A touching tribute. My condolences to you and yours.

Cressida de Nova said...

Oh this is so sad. Losing a family pet is a terrible wrench. Great family pics. How blessed your family was to have this lovely creature.

Myrna R. said...

Sherry sent me the link to this lovely, sad poem. I have grieved many such friends and my heart goes out to you and your family. I know that feeling of sensing their presence though they have left. After a year and half, I have finally adopted another friend though she will never really replace my Daisy, or any of the other special friends who have blessed my life.
Sherry is planning to do an article with your poem and mine. It's an honor for me to be written up with you.