Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Languid

Acrylic Painting by Margaret Bednar
Languid

Bees, like amber drops, roll in the petals
their buzz industrious, not threatening,
my childhood phobia placated.
(I avoided flowers, 
tiptoed through dandelion patches
afraid of being stung)

Perhaps it's the Adirondack chair
and the sun, both slanted just so
as to make movement nigh impossible
(like the stone bunny next to me).

Mid-summer I'm supine, moony;
observe crows at forest edge,
breath in fresh-cut grass,
mower’s distant whir a lullaby,

content to cloud watch,
thoughts shape-shifting spiritual mirages..
Perhaps it's part dehydration,
swear I'm floating on angel wings,
weightless, prayer frivolous
as I childishly plea summer never end...

and the bees drone on.

By Margaret Bednar, August 8, 2018


This is for "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Wordy Thursday with Wild Woman - Piggyback Poems".

The first line is from The Roses a poem featured in American Primitive - poems by Mary Oliver 

12 comments:

Kim M. Russell said...

'Languid' is once of those words that melt on the tongue, Margaret, and so fitting for this poem. I love the line from the Mary Oliver poem but I also love the lines:
'Perhaps it's the Adirondack chair
and the sun, both slanted just so'
and
'breath in fresh-cut grass,
distant whir of mower a lullaby'
which really evoke that summer feeling.
And the ending has come full circle with the bees!

Jim said...

This read nice, Margaret. A lazy languid poem for a languid lazy summer day. I'm relaxed. The rabbit reminds me of all the bunnies we have here. Alligators too, mostly in the ponds.
..

Sherry Blue Sky said...

You have captured midsummer to perfection, Margaret. And i love your wonderful painting of the bunny in the garden.

Jae Rose said...

Beautifully crafted..such shining imagery

tonispencer said...

a lovely lazy languid poem. I love the watching the clouds! On the other hand, I plead for summer to end. But I used to love to take naps to the sound of the neighbor mowing her grass - 'breath in fresh-cut grass,
distant whir of mower a lullaby' That too me is ultimate expression of summer.

Anmol (HA) said...

Such an exquisite summer scene — I can hear the bees droning in your words. I like the way the words flow here in a relaxing rhythm. It's like "floating on angel wings".
Beautiful.
-HA

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it's part dehydration,
swear I'm floating on angel wings,
weightless, prayer frivolous ...

I really like these lines, especially prayer frivolous ... and then the childish plea ...

this is a lazy day summer poem ... soft and as easy as clouds just meandering by ... and yup, the slant of those Adirondack chairs just means you end up being stuck ... for better or worse ... and clearly, this is just one of those never-ending midsummer moments ... lovely poem Margaret. :)

annell4 said...

It is comforting to hear the drone of the bees. I enjoyed your write.

Laura Bloomsbury said...

gorgeous choice of first lines and the way you flew with it into summer, flowers, dreamy bees

Kerry O'Connor said...

Your description is sublime, Margaret, and I love your painting too. The first line fits seamlessly into the whole.

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

I am new to Toads -- have been with dVerse for a number of years and that's how I found my way here. This is an absolutely delightful post. I love the slanting of the Adirondack chair and the sun...and the stone bunny. Tis a summer melody with shapeshifting dreams and clouds - wonderful imagination and imagery. I adore Mary Oliver, so you had me at the start -- and then the circular return to the bees. :)

purplepeninportland.com said...

"and the bees drone on" - Perfect ending for this dreamy, lovely poem of summer.