Friday, July 27, 2018

"The Omen"










The Omen

They say crosses will save you.
And the Bible.  Yet Revelation hands us
chapter 13, 666, the Anti-Christ

and Hollywood Gregory Peck
whom I've faithfully followed
through courtroom, Rome, the Old West.

Convinced me to face my fears, trust
he could save the day against graveyards,
lightening storms, Rottweilers,

and The One who revels in obscurity.

1976 usually means "dated", yet I'm transfixed,
frozen in front of TV screen each year
know now cast & crew whispered of mishaps, of curses -

and develop paranoia, fear as I watch this flick
knowing devil's breeding ground
is being nurtured, yet hold blessed crucifix (tightly),

tell myself Gregory Peck's always worth watching.

by Margaret Bednar, July 27, 2018

linked with "The Imaginary Garden of Real Toads - Out of Standard: Fear into farce"  Write about a personal and unfounded fear and put a comedic twist on it. (tried to with the last line :)

I am not one to watch horror flicks - have NEVER watched Rosemary's Baby or The Exorcist... I watched original Friday the 13  when it came out, but that's more stupid than scary.

43:30 Watch the tape there for a truly horrifying "real or imagined" curse after the movie was made... John Richardson designed the beheading scene in the movie - this "accident" happened to him in Holland.

3 comments:

Jim said...

Very interesting. Margaret. And I don't know much about the scary world, except that mirrors are also defensive aids. "Father Brown" is my hero. Ha.
..

brudberg said...

I feel that those films could scare a person senseless... curses do exist at least in the sense of seeds that grow inside.

Isadora Gruye said...

Hiya Margaret! I was thrilled to see this piece posted for my prompt. I really like how you lifted the theme and rhetoric around the omen and wrapped it up into allegory of Peck....(Atticus!!!!). This was clever and concise, as per your usual. Thanks so much for sharing!