Monday, April 9, 2018

"Elusive"

Azalia shrub
Elusive

"I believe in everything until it's disproved."  John Lennon

Perhaps I will assign more faith to Midsummer's Eve,
but morning's sun has enticed me.  My shoulders are warm
as J. M. Barrie's placed upon the grass, spine prostrate,
unusual for me as I'm a bookmark girl, but I'm distracted
by the play of light dancing upon Azalea blossoms.

I don't look directly, but slyly through lowered lashes
for something elusive.  I've followed the "rules" -
have come quietly, barefoot, sought out "untouched";
found it in fallen blooms I'm convinced are secret pathways.

Only the ever present breeze treads for now,
seemingly have missed them again,
perhaps should have studied that butterfly more closely.
Will have to wait and cultivate a secret garden, add a few gnomes;

take note to plant little jester-hatted Columbines,
Shakespeare's drooping-belled Cowslips, and Forget-Me-Nots
for they fashion clothes from petals such as these. Rescue my book,
satisfy myself with a glimpse of them in a world two stars to the right.

Margaret Bednar, April 9, 2018


This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Waiting for".  The challenge is to write about waiting for something, but do not say what "it" is.

Also for NaPoWriMo - National Poetry Month (30 Poems in 30 Days.

My oldest daughter when she was small created magical gardens and nooks for fairies, left them letters and treats.  She truly believed - and probably still does.

Note:  J. M. Barrie wrote "Peter Pan" and penned the famous line "Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning"

13 comments:

annell4 said...

Together in the garden. A magical place.

Gillena Cox said...

"two stars to the night" Gosh how I luv that phrase

much love...

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is beyond beautiful!!💜 Love; "come quietly, barefoot, sought out "untouched";
found it in fallen blooms I'm convinced are secret pathways."💜

Anonymous said...

Lovelylovely...tell your daughter to come visit our Celtic shores..Plenty of the fey folk still floating aboot the place ;)

Kim M. Russell said...

I do love magical gardens,Margaret. We have two sleeping gnomes in ours. I also love the references to Peter Pan and the lines:
'I don't look directly, but slyly through lowered lashes
for something elusive. I've followed the "rules" -
have come quietly, barefoot, sought out "untouched";
found it in fallen blooms I'm convinced are secret pathways'.

Neeraj Khanka said...

A beautiful write ! Full of magical words, especially I loved :
"found it in fallen blooms I'm convinced are secret pathways"

Ellecee said...

What lovely thoughts, I love gardens. Your words paint a beautiful one. When I was a girl I believed in the wee ones too. I thought the toad stools were their tables. :-)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I loved tiptoing through this garden with you, and firmly believe in fairies!

tonispencer said...

I love this poem. The wee ones are still around. The coming barefoot and slowly as if to a holy place but then, the ground where gardens are are truly holy.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Ah just lovely! The young can see them better, I believe; but few of us see them for very long at a time (if at all) as they flit between dimensions.

Anonymous said...

I really like the language you've chosen so particularly well to describe the plants to consider for the invitation of the magical world to help you, or perhaps, them to show up more visibly. It really just adds such an amazing spirited yet gently "ask and they will come" feeling to this - how lovely Margaret - and the ending, well served for the poem.

Isadora Gruye said...

While reading this poem, the imagery of flowers felt surprisingly calming, and yet the anxiousness of the narrator came through as well. Such a peaceful and well struck balance. Thanks for sharing!

Jim said...

Perhaps another day, Margaret. I liked all the flowers and plants. Our Azalea blossoms have all gone now, the came about mid March and left when April came. Our Iris are in full bloom, and of course are the Roses, Oleanders, and Hibiscus and another whose name I can't remember. No Lily of the Nile this year, we moved it over to another spot too soon or too late. The Lemon tree has fruit setting on, its flowers are gone.
..