Saturday, March 3, 2018

"The Special Place"

Crepuscule - Heinrich Kuhn (1897)
The "Special" Place

"You can't get away from yourself 
by moving from one place to another" - Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

It's before twilight, before the twinkling sky absorbs
the silhouettes of the heron as he flies by
and the deer as they break away from woodland's swarthy shadows
to nibble leafy greenbrier, maples, and shrubs.

I've settled myself this past afternoon brooding beside the brook,
leaned forward hoping water's reflection favored a foretelling
of what's to come, but clairvoyance is elusive
and I'm left pondering perplexities, twirling Queen Anne's Lace

as clouds turn a soft pink upon horizon's edge,
prompting me to stretch and amble towards home.
Grateful tails greet me, noses thrust into my hand
and I smile, as being welcomed in such a way

is a balm for which my heart is thankful.

by Margaret Bednar, March 3, 2018

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Sunday Mini Challenge - Camera Flash".  Write a poem to the above photograph by "Crepuscule, Heinrich Kuhn 1897.  

11 comments:

Vivian Zems said...

Love the image you painted here. Thank goodness the brook didn't foretell the future... the present is filled with enough joy in those wagging tails :)

Jim said...

We all need a place to go. Yours is truly bliss.
..

tonispencer said...

Oh this is marvelous. And being welcomed home by wagging tails and wet noses...it ccan't get any better. The stream not telling you what is in your future is probably a good thing - the now is scary enough. But this lovely peaceful poem settles in my bones and make me feel grateful as well.

Old Egg said...

One always hopes that we can make sense of a streams tinkling natter but sadly its secrets are taken on downstream until all mixed up they enter the sea to confuse the fish. I on the otherhand would dip my hand in the water and just for the thrill of their kiss. This is really a beautiful poem.

Kerry O'Connor said...

You have the unique ability to step inside a photo and describe what you see and hear and feel. This is very well done.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Such beautiful imagery in this one, Margaret💞 I especially love; "twirling Queen Anne's Lace as clouds turn a soft pink upon horizon's edge."💞

hyperCRYPTICal said...

We all need our quiet still place, a place in which to reflect - and you have written of it beautifully.
I too am glad the water did not foretell your future - for possible bad news would be hard to deal with.
Your close brings a wonderful warmth of welcome, wagging tails and of friendly noses. Lovely!
Anna :o]

brudberg said...

I really love how you could put yourself inside the photo and find that joy of yet a dawn... somehow this is so far from anything I know... In summer when you can enjoy weather warm enough the dawn is so early in the morning so it's more late at night. When I was young I used to come home in the early dawn and go to bed.

Maude Lynn said...

I've done my share of brooding by the brook. Beautiful work.

purplepeninportland.com said...

This is wonderful, Margaret.

'hoping water's reflection favored a foretelling
of what's to come, but clairvoyance is elusive'

I can see myself looking into that water.

Nothing beats a wagging tail!

Carrie Van Horn said...

This is beautiful Margaret! I especially love the line, "but clairvoyance is elusive and Im left pondering perplexities, twirling Queen Anne's Lace." Life is full of brooding sometimes, and also the joy of grateful tails. Love the hope that arises in your words here.