Monday, August 21, 2017

Beneath a Batik sky...




Beneath a batik sky, everything's whitewashed in translucent shades of aqua, turquoise, and teal; shapes being reduced to inky silhouettes.  Humidity cloaks me, but welcoming the island breeze I wear this frock with ease even as sweat trickles betwixt my shoulder blades.  My feet turn towards the harbor, gem colored kayaks beaconing.  Soon develop a steady rhythm, skirt Silver Lake's circumference, glide by weatherworn piers and pilings, pass muster with austere white crowned sentinels of broad wings and oversized bill; grateful for the privilege of safe passage.  Find myself refreshed and walking beside a border of cypress trees, whose contour of whorls and swirls seemingly place me inside a Van Gogh landscape although absent a sky of churning, patterned brushstrokes; instead it is scrimmed with gossamer clouds more reminiscent of Whistler.  Meet up with my man and little man admiring Pamlico Sound, find my heart bursting as brightly as the marigold star nestling in the sliver of tangerine sky as it winks once more and slips softly into the sea.

Turquoise and marigold accent my world
as ocean's breeze soothes a tempest

by Margaret Bednar, August 21, 2017

This is linked with "dVerse Poets Pub - Haibun Monday - What did you do?"  Also linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Tuesday Platform"

A Haibun is one of my favorite poetic styles - although I do struggle with the follow-up Haikus.  We just returned from a last summer "hurrah" - a week on our beloved Outerbanks - Ocracoke Island.  It is the beginning of hurricane season, and although there were a touch of storms, they came and went.  It made the waves a lot of fun - although we didn't venture very far out and my son wore a life jacket and a boogy board attached to his wrists.






15 comments:

indybev said...

Your lovely descriptive phrases took me there, Margaret. Beautifully written!

brudberg said...

I love the sense of sea and all the sights and sounds. It must be a beautiful place

Kim M. Russell said...

I love all the colours and patterns in your haibun, Margaret. The phrase 'humidity cloaks me' really conveys the heat and there is so much movement in your 'Van Gogh landscape'. Your photos complement the gorgeous haiku.

Frank Hubeny said...

I liked the description of your heart bursting when you found your family.

Grace said...

A very poetic prose of your summer adventure Margaret. Love the batik shades, blue shades, gem colored kayaks and tangerine sky. This style of writing suits you, smiles.

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

LOVE the batik sky! We stayed on Okrcoke Island for 3 days one summer. Isn't it known for once having wild horses? It is indeed a magical place. Thanks for taking me back there again....your descriptiive imagery is stunning!

tonispencer said...

As an old NC girl, I love reading about it, especially the coast. Just put your haiku lines into 5-7-5, no punctuation - just a short dash for the aspirated pause. Kudos for using a season word as well! that makes it a real haiku. the last line of your haibun brought tears to my eyes with joy and longing for the coast again.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. There is so much here. The words, the photos, the moment. the feelings and now this (my feelings). Thank you, Grace.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Beautiful descriptive write Margaret. Your words made my heart burst too!
Anna :o]

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, it sounds (and looks) wonderful. Thank you for bringing it to life for us.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Sigh..❤️ love the vivid and beautiful descriptions in this, Margaret! Wonderfully dreamy!❤️

Debi Swim said...

I can tell this place is inside you. Your description is so vivid and beautiful.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

The imagery in your haibun is beautiful, and oh, Margaret, your photos are spectacular!

Outlawyer said...

Sounds just lovely -- lovely sounds too and great pics.

Lindsay Parker said...

Really great post, Thank you for sharing this knowledge. Excellently written article, if only all bloggers offered the same level of content as you, the internet would be a much better place and also see my blog post Vancouver pr firm. Please keep it up. Keep posting.
Best regards