Saturday, September 26, 2015

"The Path"


The Path

I long for moments of awe -
where time seeps into crack and crevice,

where allegro's finger
slows its vibrato,

where powdery blooms of Solomon's seal
weigh heavily upon August's vine,

where God's signet ring
dangles beside the forest path I tread.

by Margaret Bednar, September 26, 2015


This plant which looks similar to a blue berry is actually poisonous however has been used for medicinal purposes dating back a very long time.  It is referred to as Solomon's Seal and was given this name due to its appearance at the cross section of its stem where it attaches to the underground root structure.  The legend of King Solomon's Seal is shared by Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.  The Doctrine of Signatures is a theory that plants were "signed" by God to indicate their intended use by man.    I at first thought it was a choke berry - but the leaves were markedly different.


This is linked with "Imaginary Garden of Real Toads - Let's Go Back to School" where I was inspired by the poem "Rome" written by Waseen Asmal:

an excerpt from the poem "Rome":  (for the full version, click on the name above).

Time has seeped into
the cracks and crevices of
the once mighty Rome
breaking it's walls
and leaving it crumbling in the dust.

and also linked with the Garden's prompt "Play it Again, Toads".   I chose the archived challenge "A Word with Laurie - allegro"  where I not only had to use the word "allegro" but had to keep the poem to 8 lines AND write it within a minute's time.  I took a minute and a half (sorry) but it took me quite a while to research this little poem.  It took me forever to find out what this plant was - the choke berry leaves are a bit serrated - so I looked for about 45 minutes until I finally found the correct leaf shape.

Someone commented my blog's "verification" is giving them trouble.  I checked my status and I have it turned off - there should be NO verification code to type in.  Please let me know if this is showing up if you post a comment.  Thanks.  

19 comments:

Fireblossom said...

I always love poetry that also teaches me about plants. Nice to have you back.

Second Cloud On The Left Farm said...

weigh heavily upon August's vine - I could paint those words. So beautiful.

Gail said...

Solomon's Seal is a beautiful plant. I had it growing beside my water garden. My grandmother was a midwife and knew much of the old remedies Nature and God provided but I did not know to ask enough nor write it down.

I enjoyed this poem.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, how could you produce something so beautiful so fast?! Well done - and so clever, as well as just right, the allegro-vibrato verse.

Anonymous said...

oh, how very lovely

kaykuala said...

where God's signet ring
dangles beside the forest path I tread

One is blessed with God's guidance. But in this context the dangling 'berries' appear to be a concern. Great haibun Marge! The explanation is most educational.


Hank

Margaret said...

Interesting take on dangling. I see what you mean. But I really meant it as a comfort. His "signature" kind of like a sunset is comforting or the vast ocean is mesmerizing. Thanks for the input

Sumana Roy said...

"where God's signet ring
dangles beside the forest path I tread."...this is so beautiful...

brudberg said...

What a wonderful lesson on plants - so many poisonous ones actually find medicinal use.

Debi Swim said...

What a beautiful, restful, long sigh poem. A minute and a half... impressed.

Kerry O'Connor said...

When I read your lines, I realized how much I have missed your poetry in recent weeks. This is just wonderful - I felt transported by your description.

Thank you for also linking this to my challenge of earlier in the week.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

What a beautiful photo, Margaret - lots of awe in that scene. Smiles. Love your poem, especially your closing lines

I am having a hard time with your verification process Margaret, took about five tries.

De Jackson said...

Oh, this is breathtaking.

Isadora Gruye said...

I like how you chose to incorporate the musicalitywith natural elements like crevices and forest paths.....well done!

Other Mary said...

I love the metaphor of God's ring, and also the informational note about Solomon's Seal. Thank you Margaret, too, for the "Play it Again" prompt.

Susie Clevenger said...

This is so beautiful Margaret...I can't choose a favorite part. I adore each line.

Helen said...

.. as others have said, your poem is beautiful, a joy to read ~~ take in.

Bekkie Sanchez said...

Very beautiful take the second allegro today. Loved it!

Hannah said...

The path you paint is vivid...thank you, Margaret!