Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"The Vacation"


The Vacation

From the vantage point
of an adirondack chair
I breath deeply,

toes salted white,
chin tilted heavenward, eyes resting
upon evening's colorful sash.

Exhale as ocean's breath
like southern sweet tea,
sugarcoats transgressions,

worries.  I'll pack them up,
carefully folded, carry them,
much lighter, homeward.

Treasure I've learned letting go
is nigh impossible and acknowledgement
isn't necessarily acceptance.

I'm my past, present, and hopes
for the future; an inseparable trinity,
my unique cross to bear.

Margaret Bednar, March 18, 2014

We all need more vacation time (and I'm not necessarily referring to the college age spring breakers ;)  to reflect, relax, and reinvigorate.   This is a photo of the last morning of my vacation on the beach of St. Augustine, FL.

This is for Imaginary Garden of Real Toad's "Open Link Night".  Obviously I am submitting late.

11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

nice and refreshing.

Ananya said...

Sweet..

Anonymous said...

Yeah, lucky you. I live here in Florida and haven't seen a beach since last June. It's great to have some time to get off that cross and just sit and admire all the water.

Karen said...

Sweet cross to bear...never thought of that image. Nice one!

Lisa Gordon said...

Oh, how wonderful this must have been, Margaret!

gabrielle said...

You have such a gift for softening these things
I've been pondering "forgiveness" lately and find that it is not something that is not always possible or even called for. What I have come to embrace is “acknowledgement” and hopefully “acceptance”—precisely the words you brought home with you. Thank you for this treasure, the sand you carried between your toes.

MarmePurl said...

Here's to all of our Past, Present, and Hopes!

Kathryn Dyche said...

The sea makes everything better somehow. Beautiful write.

Steve King said...

Nothing says "relax" more than an Adirondack Chair. Nicely done.
Steve K.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I'm certainly looking forward to my April vacation... even if I spend it in the comfort of my own home, with my books, kids and poetry.

Jennifer Wagner said...

Just right Margaret...both poem and image. Welcome back, smiles!