Friday, November 1, 2013

"Heatwave"

Photo by Margaret Bednar



Heatwave

A fever oscillates across my skin
swigs stamina and strength from my bones,
yet offers no toast to acknowledge my hospitality.

I'm just "southern" enough to graciously welcome
unwanted guests, find beauty in wilting leaves bowing temporarily
to a stronger force; enjoy the ballet of grandmother's quilt
as it lifts a corner, flutters gracefully as the fever exhales;

imagine I'm a bartender serving shots during happy hour,
carefully pour each living thing a drink - temperance observed;
join the hens in a silent brooding, thankful the border collie
rallies strength to scan for the devil;

look forward to the lick of night when the visitor rests,
yellow haze behind my eyelids finally fades to black.

by Margaret Bednar, November 1, 2013

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Artistic Interpretations - with Maria Wulf".  Maria is a fiber artist and blogs at "Full Moon Fiber Art" and lives on "Bedlam Farm" with her husband, author John Katz.

7 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

This is rich, gorgeous writing positively suffused with atmosphere. I love it.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

You have captured intense heat perfectly.

Hannah said...

I really enjoy the progression of imagery within this poem, Margaret...Rich, yes!

humbird said...

'enjoy the ballet of grandmother's quilt' ~ me too! such a great image! and feel this 'heat wave'...and nice ending 'yellow haze behind my eyelids finally fades to black.'

Susie Clevenger said...

Such a beautiful poem..too many favorite lines to single out only one..

Sumana Roy said...

So captivating images...'imagine I'm a bartender serving shots during happy hour,' being my favorite

Marian said...

this is really nice, Margaret... a pining for solitude, or at least to have company at bay so one might relax.