Thursday, September 8, 2011

Friday Flash 55 & In Tandem - "The Abyss of Blue"

Art courtesy of Jinsky for "In Tandem"
The Abyss of Blue

Permanent ink disappears
on torn parchment, piece
by piece, as love's letters
of disappointment
float from my fingertips.

A life's devotion
sinks into the abyss
of blue as thoughts of you
spiral downward
into a watery grave.

I lift my head
from this vault of tears
and raise my eyes
towards the sun's
autumnal rays.

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, September 8, 2011

Art courtesy of Jinsky for "In Tandem"

Come join the FUN and participate or read the talent at either the "G-Man's" blog "Mr. KnowItAll" a story in 55 words.  (I will link up with that tonight after 8pm) or Jinksy's blog "In Tandem" - write a prose or poetry prompt using one or both of the above images.

Note:  It recently noticed I usually write sad and tragic...why do I tend to write heartbreaking pieces (I am very happily married, btw)  It is really hard for me to write "happy" and "funny".  Does anyone else have that "problem"?  Is it easier to write sad and unhappy?   :)

20 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

There is beautiful healing in autumn.

Harvest.

Hope.

Beautiful poem and images, Margaret.

xo

Anonymous said...

I love this!!! Especially "as thoughts of you spiral downward into a watery grave"

And I've been thinking of posing the same question to other poets. I cannot write "happy poetry" either. Everything has to be dark, creepy, and/or sad. If I try to write anything happy, it's garbage. Such is the curse of the poet's soul.

My recent piece is based on a painting as well. I wish I had known about this meme! I would have joined in. :)

TexWisGirl said...

you make heartbreak seem beautiful...

Lisa Gordon said...

Strong emotion, and so beautifully written Margaret!

G-Man said...

Margaret Bednar...
Those that know you even a little, know what a loving wife and mother you are. This makes the fact that you can write so forlornly, all the more fantastic!!!
Loved your 55.
Thanks for your weekly Gem, and have a Kick Ass Week-End...G

PattiKen said...

Very moving, with palpable emotion. As for " writing tragic," I tend to draw veiled criticism for predictably happy endings. So I know how you feel. I hate to think of myself as one-dimensional. I could be tragic...

Reena said...

Funny, I too like to write sad and tragic prose ... I like reading the same as well! And I'm actually quite happy! Who knows why. But i loved your piece!

Brian Miller said...

nice like how you went from one pic t the next...color to color...emotionally tight...i like

Unknown said...

profound piece...

keep it up.

Ann Grenier said...

A beautiful poem Margaret. I too tend to the melancholy and feel that people get tired of reading such poems.Good question posed to readers.

Katherine Krige said...

ooo, love how you brought BOTH images into your poem. I get a lot of hope from the last stanza though, not all doom and gloom.

As for writing styles, I have written a few funny pieces, but melancholy flows pretty easily too.

Jinksy said...

I'm so glad you felt the movement in your blue whirlpool - you captured it well with your words on torn paper!Thanks again for being a Tandem pedaller. ♥

Cad said...

I'll trust you on the 55 - who's counting?!

Matteo Taffuri said...

Ottimo lavoro Margaret!
have a sweet day
ciao
Matteo

Daydreamertoo said...

Very, very nice imagery.

izzy said...

Lovely! (mine is closer to the second painting) Thanks!

Linda said...

Nice......the photographs complement the words very well.

Doctor FTSE said...

It's a sad but hopeful poem, Margaret. Thank you,

Olivia said...

Loved the flow n transition.. typed a fat comment n lost it- grrrr!!

Wishing you a beautiful weekend xoxo

gautami tripathy said...

Lovely...

noting it all down