Friday, February 1, 2019

Sunday Mornings

123rf
Sunday Mornings

We left Mom behind every Sunday morning
because she was a Protestant, and anyway,
she had morning dishes to attend
while we sat slouched on hard pews
as Dad hummed Catholic hymns off-key.

Sometimes sister and I dug our fingernails
into the back of the wooden pew as we knelt,
carved our initials (sometimes a boy's),
often feigned dyer need to use the restroom
before the Nicene Creed,
and almost always played "elbows" as we sat
straight-backed, trying to dislodge the other.

If Dad noticed, we'd find out after church,
car-bound, as he enjoyed newspaper, coffee,
and a few donuts, as we sat contritely,
Donut Shop's glass window 
cause for our contrition.

Margaret Bednar, February 1, 2019

This is for "Imaginary Garden of Real Toad's "Kerry Says - Instructions for Living a Life - A Tribute to Poets of Our Time".  I selected Julia Alvarez.  I own a book "Cries of the Spirit" (1991) where a number of poets (Mary Oliver is one of them) are collected together - many have passed on, but not all.  One of the poets in this book is Julia Alvarez.  I adore Julia Alvarez and have ordered her book "Homecoming". 

I think she has a very down-to-earth voice and focuses on things that are familiar to us all - family settings... I tried my best to pick up on her theme a bit (I wouldn't be as bold to say her style). 

Below are four of her poems:

Ironing Their Clothes HERE
On Sundays HERE
Hairbands HERE
By Accident HERE

Homecoming = published 1996 - A reisusuing of a 1984 book now out of print
The Woman I Kept to Myself - published in 2004

In the Time of the Butterflies - her novel made into a major motion picture.

Julia Alvarez - Backstage at Pen & Podium:

9 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this, can see the sisters elbowing, then gazing mournfully at the doughnuts they cant have.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I like the down to earth way you have described the scene - there is humour and the tickling reminder of youth well-conveyed in each line.

Jim said...

This is wonderful Margaret. And now you have your daughters to write of their mother's quirks. I think there wouldn't be two Sunday Morning experiences the exact same in the whole world. One morning we were several miles down the road when I noticed my little sister had forgotten to put her underwear on. We turned around to get her dressed right. That's the only going part of church that I remember. A poem?
..

tonispencer said...

I like this scene. The doughnuts the sisters can't have...so much humor and warmth in this. A great tribute.

Isadora Gruye said...

You capture this family's Sunday in a way that is so real. Well done!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is a wonderful tribute, Margaret! The reminiscence of youth is heartfelt and conveyed so very beautifully in each line! Thank you so much for sharing.

Anmol (HA) said...

Ah, I loved this sepia-toned scene — your narration and the corresponding imagery are delightful.

brudberg said...

What a wonderful way to capture the childhood in those sunday moments... I didn't grow up with lots of religion but my father came from a devout Lutheran family, and the stories he told us about having to sit straight back, silent in the parlor after Church made me feel glad not having to do that.

Cressida de Nova said...

Both very naughty girls. Dad was too soft. He should have made you read St Thomas Aquinas Summa Theologica ( in Latin) for the rest of the afternoon:)