Friday, January 25, 2019

Fashioning Poetry

123rf
Fashioning Poetry

I like fashion yet rarely wear it well,
hair bob's never sleek & silky knots
foreign to my fingers,

so I fashion words, stitch them
strapless, stretchy, beaded,
sometimes boho chic.

My favorite: embroidered,
quilted, comfortable,
even a bit lacy,

but that doesn't mean
I've banned racer-backs
or scoop-necked and sassy.

Treated a few to the "red carpet",
promenaded them, pivots and twirls,
before a live audience

to a round of applause;
french knotted scarf
compliments of my daughter.

by Margaret Bednar, January 25, 2019

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Bits of Inspiration - Poet Discovery"  Why do we write poetry?  I've written to this question before, so opted for something a bit fun and I hope this metaphor works...

I invite you to listen to me read "Fashioning Poetry"


6 comments:

Jim said...

The kids with keep you straight, Margaret. I loved and live and last verse, my family reads my stuff to a varying extent. Yes, we also live the "red carpet", you and some others sooo much more than me because you attend and participate in readings, publish, and make a name for yourself.
Houston does have quite a few poetry reading groups but they are almost an hour from our home on very busy roads. I.e. I don't ever attend.
..

Yvonne Osborne said...

Witty and rhythmic! I'd rather fashion words too but cringe at the thought of reading aloud in front of others.

Susie Clevenger said...

Poetry as fashion...love that. Fashion me a verse. :) Write that runway! Thanks so much for taking part in the prompt!

Kerry O'Connor said...

An excellent analogy which you fashioned throughout.

brudberg said...

I love the way you used the analogy of clothes...
now I have to think about what I wear

WildChild47 said...

I really love the fresh approach you've used Margaret - it speaks of the yearning to pull it all off, the polished effect, but then, sometimes, the slightly messy speaks far larger and more intimately, like a few loose curls that wisp around the ear!

A most creative idea about how and why one writes, creates ...